Your Story In One Sentence - Page 4

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Story In One Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Deployment View Post
    This one is really good! It's a classic "parcel" story like 3:10 to Yuma (or alt-history like Oppel's Airborne), the main character is the airship captain, and the conflict comes with whether or not they can make the hazardous journey (and likely, whether they'll want to in the end, just theorizing). I like this one.
    Thanks. I like it, too! Yes, it's a "delivery" story, or a "parcel" story as you accurately put it. The Lord of the Rings is one big "parcel" story as well.

And hey! Quit giving away the end to my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Outiboros View Post
    A few:

- A 25th-century neurotechnician creates AI's from living brains, and her patients and their digital twins challenge her views on morality.

- The Garden Gnomes awaken and threaten to overtake the world, and it’s up to a chain-smoking wizard to stop them.

- After the collapse of humanity’s galactic society, four scavengers accidentally awaken an old starship and change the fate of Earth.
    First and last sounds very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by bookmasta View Post
    I like this one. It sounds like it could be an interesting work. Let me know if you need a beta reader for a chapter or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavrushka View Post
    Seconded! - I'd posted on this thread a little flippantly, but this single sentence is gripping. - I'd be happy to read a little too.
    Wow, thanks! Sure, I'll count on you when I translate it -well, translator, not me, because if I'm gonna translate it... it won't be good You guys made my day! Oh, and it's a (hard) Sci-Fi, so you don't get disappointed.
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Quote Originally Posted by KyleColorado View Post
    Thanks. I like it, too! Yes, it's a "delivery" story, or a "parcel" story as you accurately put it. The Lord of the Rings is one big "parcel" story as well.

And hey! Quit giving away the end to my book!
    The ending to 3:10 To Yuma was spectacular, by the way (both my favourite Western and favourite road trip movie). The sherriff gets mortally wounded in the final fight, and the crook defends him from his own gang and carries him to the end out of respect.

The ending to 3:10 To Yuma was spectacular, by the way (both my favourite Western and favourite road trip movie). The sherriff gets mortally wounded in the final fight, and the crook defends him from his own gang and carries him to the end out of respect.
    If you enjoyed that - check out "No Country For Old Men" which is all about the action.
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

The coin scene from NCfOM was amazing.

I remember they fought for the same oscar. Forget which one took it.

Wait hold on this is off-track. Uhh.
    When a veterinarian finds alien parasites in his patients' brains, he must eradicate the threat before it spreads to humans.
    Last edited by Staff Deployment; February 12th, 2014 at 02:40 AM.

Yes, it's one of my favorite Westerns, too. Great film. The whole third act was phenomenal.

Harlan, a manipulative maintenance worker-turned-killer, stalks his victims by lurking about in the steam tunnels beneath the college campus, not caring about conspicuousness, not caring whether they're alone, and not giving the teenagers who use the tunnels for recreational drug use enough credit, Harlan finds himself on the run.

Enough commas?
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

A shape-shifting water spirit gets bonded to a human girl by a work contract that sets a deadline to his life.
    "I wonder... Could there be a Roman (story) there...?" - Hiver Laurant
    -----------------------------------
    Non-native English speaker here! Please, forgive my eventual grammar mistakes! ^^'

In your pocket, stealing your pocket lint.
    "As the world's greatest inventors kickstart a global industrial revolution, they find themselves lodged between the wheel of progress and an ancient evil rising from the depths of their factories."

I had to make an educated guess on the main characters. It's almost certainly not right.
    It's actually closer than you might think.

The trouble I'm having here is that my series has a lot of MCs to follow, and picking the "most central" of them is a difficult task. I mean, for each individual book it's not so hard, but for the entire series? It's like, two or three generations of pseudo-protagonists.

Ah well. Let's try again anyway. My previous log-line was "An endless industrial revolution sees the creation of the machine that will swallow up the world."

Series log-line:
    "The industrial revolution spirals out of control, plunging the world into something far more sinister."
    --Book one log-line: "Lost in the wilderness and driven mad with revelation, a brilliant machinist develops something that shouldn't exist."
    --Book two log-line: "A young cartographer sets out to discover the connection between the mechanical sea creatures that have appeared in the oceans and the maelstrom that's been raging at the center of the Iron Sea for the last five years."
    --Book three log-line: "A group of refugees cross an ocean teeming with mechanical monstrosities to find shelter from the coming storm."

Better?
    Last edited by InkwellMachine; February 12th, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
    "Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised." --John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Schrody View Post
    First and last sounds very interesting!
    Thank you! It's hard and soft science fiction, respectively. I've held off on posting anything in the Workshop because I'm terrible at taking criticism and suffer from chronic not-being-a-native-English-speaker. Maybe I'll post a bit sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrody View Post
    Wow, thanks! Sure, I'll count on you when I translate it -well, translator, not me, because if I'm gonna translate it... it won't be good You guys made my day! Oh, and it's a (hard) Sci-Fi, so you don't get disappointed.
    Post some of it in the Workshop either way. I'd like to see how someone else deals with hard sci-fi, or even what you define as such.
    DUBW