Knitting--help a young guy out, anyone?

Thread: Knitting--help a young guy out, anyone?

Knitting--help a young guy out, anyone?

I very excitedly bought yarn and knitting needles a bit ago, and since then have created nothing but a circular gray swath in my "practice" attempt. I've watched a bunch of tutorials and read how-to's, it took me ages to grasp each stage.
    I can cast on perfectly fine, and do a row of stitches, but then the string connecting the two needles is much too long and won't pull through anywhere--I have no idea how not to have this, or what to do with it. My only way to progress has been to use it to add more stitches on the new needle, which I feel is NOT the proper way to increase, and obviously won't get me far in terms of actually creating something.

I appreciate anyone who takes pity on me and has advice to offer!

I'm honestly not sure what you are doing to end up with a length of yarn at the end, I wish I could be more help. knittinghelp.com has some great videos and tutorials, I frequently referred to them when I was a new knitter.

Are you knitting in the round (knitting an item that could be a sock, or a sleeve?)? It is generally easier to begin to knit a flat object. I typically suggest things like dishclothes, or coasters that can be felted. A scarf is good as well, but they take such a long time that they can get quite boring once you have the basic knit stitch down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I can cast on perfectly fine, and do a row of stitches, but then the string connecting the two needles is much too long and won't pull through anywhere--I have no idea how not to have this, or what to do with it.
    I appreciate anyone who takes pity on me and has advice to offer!
    This may be way late, but here it is just in case I can be a help.

It may help if you were able to post a pic of your work in progress. My sister taught me enough about knitting to be able to make a square or rectangle of knitted product and I never had any issue with the sort of thing you seem to be talking about.