Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes for the New Year

All will be revealed in a matter of hours.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I'm guessing we'll find out Lewdog and The Tourist are one and the same?

While we're speculatin' - maybe Morkonan and Cran have started a cult? Or perhaps we'll find out Fin is an algorithm and not a real person? Fun! Lasm and Ol' Fartsy are the same person? Come on! Something fun!
    Embrace Impermanence.

Well, I just found out from Foxee that WF has a hot tub...somewhere...and you have to know the secret Patron handshake to get in.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

No no no, Potty was my alternate personality... or I was his, but I took over.

I heard that Pluralized's fiction is actually all autobiographical!

Quote Originally Posted by lasm View Post
    No no no, Potty was my alternate personality... or I was his, but I took over.

I heard that Pluralized's fiction is actually all autobiographical!

Y'know.... Potty disappeared about the time you showed up...

I do resemble a Sasq, only hairier.
    Embrace Impermanence.

WF 2014 Changes

It's still a few hours from the New Year here, but here goes. What follows is the changes that we've been moving towards for the last few months. We hope they will make WF even better as we move into 2014 and beyond.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

We’ve decided to make some changes to WF's policies for the New Year, mainly the use of strong language. We are moving away from the strict rules concerning profanity and are concentrating instead on a more respect-based atmosphere. This doesn’t mean that you can go all Wild West/free for all on the forum; in fact, just the opposite. We are asking that our members be adults and use common sense when posting on WF. We all know how to act and speak in public, and what is and isn’t considered respectful language and actions. We aren’t going to ban you if you use profanity, but if you are simply using it in an excessive and gratuitous manner, you can expect to be called on it. What that means is this: you’ll be asked to edit your post; your post may be pulled for discussion; or your post may simply be deleted if it’s a fluff comment. Rack up enough of these and your actions will be considered as ignoring staff and you will be issued an infraction. Our moderators all give their time voluntarily to this site and they don’t need to be babysitting anyone who can’t act like an adult. The onus is on you to act responsibly. Choose the words you use on the boards carefully and deliberately before you decide to curse.

Similarly, disclaimers on fiction and poetry in their respective boards will be considered optional. Use your head with regards to whether or not to include them. We're not going to slap your wrist if there are a few minor swear words, but if your piece contains sensitive content and you know it's likely to offend potential readers, include the disclaimer. The staff will continue to pull work containing overly gratuitous content.

Flaming has always been unacceptable on this site and will continue to be. However, there is a big difference in disagreeing with someone and a personal attack. We are bound to have different opinions about things, so we ask you to respect that and move on if you are unable to. Never personally attack another member. On the flip side, a thick skin is required in this profession. If you are easily offended, we suggest you refrain from engaging in heated discussions.

As in 2013, there will be no debates allowed in 2014. Keep all discussions reasonably on track and if you stray into potentially offensive and/or sensitive issues, be very careful how you tread. It will be up to the moderation team to decide what is acceptable and what is not. But, if a topic is offending you, do the adult thing and walk away.

Consider these changes to be part of a beta test. If the Administration feels that things are getting out of hand, or the new system is being exploited, they will see fit to change the rules back to their former levels. Please help us by keeping things professional, friendly, and enjoyable for everyone.

In the spirit of new beginnings and as a show of goodwill, we have decided that all infractions (except permanent bans) will be wiped clean, as so many past ones have been language-based. This means that anyone who has infractions on the books will start out with a clean slate and a fresh start. This is a one-time deal and will never be repeated. For those currently serving infractions, the amnesty will not take effect until the corresponding sentence has reached its conclusion.
    Finally, on behalf of all the staff at WF, we wish you and yours a happy and prosperous 2014.

The WF Staff.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I'm more encouraged than ever to be active here. A pragmatic attitude toward content and language only makes sense.

Well done, guys. And well said, Sam!

Happy 2014, all.
    Embrace Impermanence.

I can't take credit for this in its entirety. It was put together by an amazing Administration team, in conjunction with intelligent and thoughtful input from all the staff.

On behalf of myself, I will say Happy New Year to all WF members and their loved ones. Best wishes for 2014.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

Absolutely this was a result of weeks of discussion and input from Admins, mods, mentors and our wonderful Patrons. All with the
    desire to improve the site for all of us. We have tried to listen to you the members and what we've heard and observed from you all has been the driving force behind this change.

Happy and Prosperous New Year to all!

Perhaps some people did not read the part in the policy where I said personal attacks would not be tolerated. It hasn't been five minutes and already people are pushing the envelope. This is not a thread to comment on anything other than the new changes.

Bloody hell.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast