Syntax of Poetry to reduce time correcting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syntax of Poetry to reduce time correcting.

Syntax of Poetry to reduce time correcting.

I wish I knew how to correct the syntax and grammar of poetry faster. Is there a way? Does any explanation also fall under fiction? Thank you. Please let me know.

The only quicker way is not to make errors in the first place, sounds so simple doesn't it. Actually, re-reading and correcting often makes for a better poem, specially if you leave it a while to gestate before editing.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Ok I agree, and I didn't want to sound like cynical.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 2nd, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that in an, as yet, unvisited bookshop, high on a shelf, there rests a book that can do your editing for you; there isn't, so stop researching and start writing, you will find that the more you write the fewer mistakes you make.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

I will practice, still in need of fixing my english,
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; December 2nd, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

I'm confused by your general and rather formal responses, Glass. I would suggest that poetry is fun. Play with the syntax and images you create and then muddle them up. In my experience less is more when it comes to poetry. We, as a society, have certain preconceived notions as to what things are like--in poetry why would I describe every inch of a rose in detail if the rose isn't the point of the poem? In other words, we have a societal shorthand--make use of it.

I admit to you Amsawtell. I can be just as you said, confusing, and formal in my responses which can be unproductive for writing. I will improve my approach to writing since I do want to practice writing, and even wrote a short story recently that was hard to write, because of creativity. Also there are many talented people. Sometimes I delay posting something. However I will give what you and Bloggsworth said a try about trying to force myself to write about something. I appreciate what you both said about giving me advice. I know there is no such book. I intend to improve my aims as a writer. To write correctly in english, and to practice more often. However, I know I can be capable so I won't say I am not capable. Thanks for the good advice. I mean this sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I wish I knew how to correct the syntax and grammar of poetry faster. Is there a way? Does any explanation also fall under fiction? Thank you. Please let me know.
    The Glass Tea House.

A.) Two simple rules will help the poem.
    1. know what person you are writing in (first, second , or third)
    2. maintain it through the poem.

B.) Keep the verbs active as possible.
    This will keep the poem activated. Stay away from gerunds and participles.

Beware of too many prepositional phrases.
    And never make a metaphor using the word "OF;"
    it's too simple and common place.
    For figurative usage use verbs and direct language.

You will be amazed what these three things can do to help your poem.

Ok thanks a lot RHPeat. Also, thanks for helping me learn.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

in bad taste - deleted
    Last edited by Tirralirra; March 9th, 2020 at 11:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast