Two Photos

Thread: Two Photos

Two Photos

These are two photographs that I took around November of last year. Both places are of areas close to my house, so if you ever find them, feel free to drop in for a chat.

Hidalgo Ave

Landlocked

There's also a third photo, which is a self portrait. But let's be honest: Nobody wants to see that.
    "Boku wa yandere desu ka?! More like, Ich kann der geh! Jah?"

Did you scan these from a photo? The reason I ask is that the limbs on the far left of the first one look odd.

I like the first one a lot, but a small crop could help it. It you had croped it about a half inch from the bottom (taking out that hollow pole) and croped out the half plate, it might improve the compistion.

Did you have a goal with the second one?
    Last edited by Whisper; September 24th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
    Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunters. ~African Proverb

love the first one..could be an album cover,book cover..ect.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Nice. I especially like the first one.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    love the first one..could be an album cover,book cover..ect.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Great photos, WechtleinUns
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

I like the first one. But the background far left is blown out, bad! Framing the image so the far left would have been about at the building line you have solved that plus would have brough more of the plate far right into view. Or just crop along the building will do away with the blown out section.

Did you do any post processing in #2? Looks over sharpened.

Both photos were taken with a Nikon Digital Camera, uploaded to my computer and edited with Gimp. Also, yes, I did some digital editing on both of them.

With the first photo, I wanted a very light, almost winter feel. I was experimenting with different stuff, but eventually just decided to make the wilderness really overblown.

With the second photo, I wanted everything to seem very stark and jagged. As you say, almost hyper sharpened. The crops are a good idea, though. I'll have to implement the crop suggestions. (^.^)
    "Boku wa yandere desu ka?! More like, Ich kann der geh! Jah?"

I would almost like to see the original version of both.

My biggest suggestion is if you want a wintery feel, take the photograph in winter. Right now, with the editing you've taken the top photo and turned it into what looks to be an over exposed photo, thus the washed out look of the branches. Other than the cropping suggestions you might also turn this photo into a Black and White. This is the sort of photo that really looks good as a Black and White. Another suggestion is to retake the photo and take down that last plate. Ideally, you don't want the photo to end at the second plate. You want to see (starting from the left) shed, signs a little more shed (end of photograph).

To be honest, the second one is kind of a mess. Too much going on in it and it looks over exposed. The original might be better as maybe I can see more, but right now I'm not sure what I should be looking at. Try taking the photo at a different angle or zoom out and take more of the landscape to give us a feel for how landlocked those boats really are. Also, just try it as a Black and White.
    Last edited by Whisper; September 25th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunters. ~African Proverb

I think youve edited them a bit too much. The overblown effect and whetever the other one is... I would trust the original photo more, editing that much rarely makes a good picture.

Nice! I can feel the crisp November air, making me miss winter!