Writing in video games - Page 9

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Writing in video games

Blog Entries
    I can't tell you how much I've learned about the middle-east and Italy thanks to the Assassin's Creed games. Not to mention how well it interweaves this cool fictional sci-fi story into actual history.

The series lost me after Revelations, but before then... man, that was my jam!
    Hidden Content

"Eliminate." - Akame

Hidden Content

When I was a kid I really liked JRPGs. Mostly for their stories. Persona 2: Innocent Sin was my favourite. It has quite an interesting story about rumours, false beliefs and urban legends and how they impact people's minds. Gameplay-wise the game was pretty bad.

I've been watching a let's play of Deadly Premonition. Should really finish that one. The story is messed up and weird, but alluring. The main character is insane, but not evil. So refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    I can't tell you how much I've learned about the middle-east and Italy thanks to the Assassin's Creed games. Not to mention how well it interweaves this cool fictional sci-fi story into actual history.

The series lost me after Revelations, but before then... man, that was my jam!
    Games can be fantastic teaching tools. My deep interest of mythology was burned into my brain when I played God of War at the age of thirteen. The Creed series also has that ability to add sparks to the often mundane treatment history was given at school. I was always into that stuff, but actually interacting with history in a deep way like games can allow is thrilling. The Civilization series is another favourite.

And with games like Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft, there's a whole knew style of practical learning in the gaming sphere. I find it endlessly exciting.
    "When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark."

~ Hidden Content ~

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    It's a shame, because Niko could have been great if they had given him a transformative moment where he realized he was just destined to be a hitman. Like where he put on a suit, embraced his one great ability in the wake of the (SPOILER ALERT) death of his girlfriend and just went full on Agent 47.
    It didn't get much better in GTA V.

The only likeable character is Franklin. Trevor is a horrible mix of pyschopath and sociopath, who I threw off the top of tall buildings to make myself feel better; Michael is a cliche who whines about the fact that he's out of the criminal business, and then whines again when he gets back in; and Lamar gives Trevor a run in the psychopath of the week competition. Even Lester blows people up with their own phones!

I know it's a game about bad people, but you look at Tommy Vercetti in Vice City, or CJ from San Andreas, and they were likeable characters.

Franklin is the only person who is in any way well-adjusted.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It didn't get much better in GTA V.

The only likeable character is Franklin. Trevor is a horrible mix of pyschopath and sociopath, who I threw off the top of tall buildings to make myself feel better; Michael is a cliche who whines about the fact that he's out of the criminal business, and then whines again when he gets back in; and Lamar gives Trevor a run in the psychopath of the week competition. Even Lester blows people up with their own phones!

I know it's a game about bad people, but you look at Tommy Vercetti in Vice City, or CJ from San Andreas, and they were likeable characters.

Franklin is the only person who is in any way well-adjusted.
    I hated GTA after Vice City. It's quite weird because I loved Vice City as a kid because of Tommy Vercetti, the soundtrack, the City and the story.

Vice City will forever be the best GTA.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789