How would you feel if/when ebooks completely overtake traditional books?

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 19 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you feel if/when ebooks completely overtake traditional books?

How would you feel if/when ebooks completely overtake traditional books?

Do you think ebooks will one day completely overtake traditional hardback and paperback books? And if they somehow did, how would you feel about it?

I wouldn't like it, but with the rise of ePublishing and tablets it's a possibility albeit a very gradual one. A big reason I got into reading was because it got me away from staring at a computer/TV/smartphone screen for awhile, I wouldn't really want to stare at one while I'm reading also...

I don't think they will, but I could be wrong. Ironically, the book I'm working on is set in the future where books (and even pen and paper) is obsolete.

But if, hypothetically, it really did happen, I'd be upset about it. I love the feel and smell of books, especially old ones. I've passed many an afternoon in a library reading while sitting on the floor between a row of shelves.

I like the convenience of ebooks. I like it's cheaper, I like that I can pack a whole library with me when I'm going on a trip, and I like the accessibility of them. But I also like going to a book store and impulse-buying. And I own all of my favorites in hardcover, and I have no intention of changing that routine.
    "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, but the worlds inside people."
    -Johnny Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter56 View Post
    Do you think ebooks will one day completely overtake traditional hardback and paperback books? And if they somehow did, how would you feel about it?
    Suicidal.

This day and age, never say never. But for me it would be a sad day indeed! Heck, sometimes when there is a lot to read on a website, I'll print it out! I get tried of staring at a computer screen.

I wouldn't care, as I don't read e-books anyway. Never have, never will. They are inferior in almost every single way.

Luddite, checking in.

Banned
    In the squares of the city, in the shadow of the steeple.
    When it happens, Iím not going to curl up in a fetal position and cry. I'll read regardless of whatever format is available. I can already see that my kids don't have the same kind of attachment to books that I do, so it could happen sooner than later. Could be too that there will always be a small market for books, much like there is now for vinyl records. I don't see that I'll ever get rid of my books, so if I'm feeling nostalgic, Iíll just pull one off the shelf. Otherwise, life will go on.
    Last edited by Myers; August 11th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Ebooks have outsold paperbacks for the last two years. They've already overtaken them.

That doesn't mean books will become obsolete. There'll always be books.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Call me old fashioned, but even if Ebooks have taken over, I will always buy paperback books instead.

Maybe I'm just odd, but I like the feel of a hardback or paperback in my hands much better than a tablet or e-reader. I think hard copies will be around for a while yet, but I'm sure they'll be slowly phased out. Hopefully not in my lifetime, as I would be disappointed.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    I don't think they will, but I could be wrong. Ironically, the book I'm working on is set in the future where books (and even pen and paper) is obsolete.

But if, hypothetically, it really did happen, I'd be upset about it. I love the feel and smell of books, especially old ones. I've passed many an afternoon in a library reading while sitting on the floor between a row of shelves.

I like the convenience of ebooks. I like it's cheaper, I like that I can pack a whole library with me when I'm going on a trip, and I like the accessibility of them. But I also like going to a book store and impulse-buying. And I own all of my favorites in hardcover, and I have no intention of changing that routine.
    My opinions are identical.
    The only lingering doubt I have is some sci-fi alternatives I have seen on TV and read about in books that actually seemed like a method I could live with.
    For Star-Trek , with their pre-predicted Ipads and Touch-screen E-books ; I wasn't too keen on the idea...
    AfterEarth (film) had another version of the same thing which looked cool, but would not compare to a book....

However...

In a story where the need for trees and the devastation of their lack of, meant books were illegal to make - the holographic design to replace them seemed worthy. It held and felt like a book, but in reality, it was like opening straight to the middle. When you turned the page, (slide finger from right page to left page) a holographic page would seem to turn over in a 3D effect just like turning the page of a real book.

Due to circumstance and the idealistic replacement that provided a technological version of what we have, I found the idea an acceptible replacement. Especially considering that:

A) Turning over the first pages of a new book results in its stubborn, unbroken ways (like that of a horse) to fight and kick back - throwing the book shut in your face.
    B) The technological replacement was as closely replicated to feel like paper (even on the screens) as their technological advancements could possibly allow.
    and:
    C) The need for tree's far outweighs my personal preference of holding a real book. (Tree hugger?)

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.Ē― Mahatma Gandhi

If you want me to respond to a thread or your work just pm me.

Page 1 of 19 12345678911 ... LastLast