How would you feel if/when ebooks completely overtake traditional books? - Page 3

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you feel if/when ebooks completely overtake traditional books?

A world without books..horrible thought...well I did bin me Lp's and buy cd's but 20 yers later I'm enjoying trying to find those lost albums and you no what...the sound is better...books will always be in my life.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I wouldn't care...
    How can you not care? You wouldn't have any new books to read if what the OP is suggesting happened.

E-books make me want to vomit and I hope someone releases a virus that frazzles all their processors for good.

How wouldn't you?

I can get a new book on my Kindle in five seconds -- for half the price of its paperback counterpart.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I can get a new book on my Kindle in five seconds -- for half the price of its paperback counterpart.
    Who cares about a couple of extra quid? You're talking about the difference between a crappy, badly formatted piece of typo-riddled software, and a beautiful, solid piece of literature. It's more than worth it.

I can just hear the conversation on the street outside of Johannes Gutenberg's printing house in 1468 Mainz. Mass produced books??? What a terrible thing! People reading stories? It'll never replace a story actually spoken at the tavern.

The biggest single issue I have with contemporary technology (almost anything computer-related) is that it makes me think of what it must have been like a couple of hundred years ago, to be on the wrong side of the industrial revolution.

Statistics I've seen suggest that e-books are overwhelming mass market paperbacks, which used to be purchased as a read-and-toss for inexpensive entertainment and are less expensive and more convenient with e-books. Hardcover and the close cousin trade paper still seem to be holding their own for better books for the moment but this may well be a generational thing, as is, I suspect, the entire concept of how we are entertained. Think film, video, gaming, ever so briefer snippets often self-produced, a running flow of personalized information so intense that it's anyone's guess where variety, democratization, and shattered attention span will take us.

The recent sale of The Washington Post to the Jeff Bezos of Amazon is a case in point -- there's a lot of speculation about the future of a print legend, but print ain't among 'em. Will the Big Six succumb to e-media? Not likely. They'll be leading the charge once they figure out the battle plan.
    Recently released: Stray Cats, an espionage thriller, in bookstores or from Amazon: Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OurJud View Post
    Who cares about a couple of extra quid? You're talking about the difference between a crappy, badly formatted piece of typo-riddled software, and a beautiful, solid piece of literature. It's more than worth it.
    I have not read a 'crappy, badly formatted piece of typo-riddled software' on Kindle ever. ​And I've read quite a lot of them.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

How wouldn't you?

I am constantly surprised by how many books are actually more expensive on Kindle than in paperback, and on occasion, hardback!
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

How wouldn't you?

Something I don't get is when there ISN"T a price difference. I like the idea of getting an e-book for 3.99, but when the paperback is 8.99 and the nook/kindle version is also 8.99 that doesn't make any sense to me.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

I don't own an e-reader and have no intention of buying one. I don't like reading off a screen of any sort, and do so only for research, never for pleasure (unless it's a very short read - say under 15 minutes). I'm not going to jump on the 'dead tree' bandwagon, since so much paper is recycled anyway and guess what? Trees are renewable resources - they can actually be planted and grown! But I don't think ebooks are going to overtake/destroy/otherwise do away with paper books - after all, we've been waiting for that 'paperless society' for how many years now?
    Has left the building.

I suspect prices are what the market will bear against total cost of production, including advances to authors that need to be recouped and marketing, but I also think a lot of it is still in the best-guess stage.
    Recently released: Stray Cats, an espionage thriller, in bookstores or from Amazon: Hidden Content or Hidden Content