Biggest pet peeve in writing? - Page 12

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Biggest pet peeve in writing?

- Agents who make specific suggestions and invite a resubmit; upon the resubmit, they reply with a form letter: "Sorry, not right for us."

- Agents who push their own book on "how to write" and then reject you anyway.

- "Free" book marketing sites that pressure you to buy premium services, especially those that charge a fee to let you give your book away.

And much more than a pet peeve: agents and small press publishers who charge an upfront fee for considering your work. Never, ever, let it happen to you.
    Recently released: Stray Cats, an espionage thriller, in bookstores or from Amazon: Hidden Content or Hidden Content

While we are (or were) on the topic of dialogue, I'd like to get something off my chest:

I detest reading a southern -- deep southern -- accent written phonetically. Or a cockney one, for that matter. It's just so annoying to clumsily stumble through what I think sounds like an incredibly unsophisticated dialect when I'm trying to read a piece of literature. Consistently unpleasant throughout.
    Last edited by Dictarium; August 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Y'all shore are makin' a fo-sho good point there!
    Recently released: Stray Cats, an espionage thriller, in bookstores or from Amazon: Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Info dumps.

I've been considering this question for days and finally arrived on an answer. Pages upon pages of exposition where the writer is telling me all about how Jack over there grew up in a single-parent home, got addicted to meth in his late teens, served some time in prison, found God but lost Him again when he got out, yadda yadda yadda. It's like the story-within-the-story that doesn't need to be in the story.

I'm inclined to say that you see it more often in newer writers who aren't yet confident in their ability to bring their characters to life without unnecessary backstory, but I've seen it in published authors as well. It usually makes me put the book down.
    "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, but the worlds inside people."
    -Johnny Depp

The amount of Pennsylvania going on right now is staggering. Hang on while I go eat some Hershey's-covered Utz in my horse and buggy while we're "living here in Allentown".

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Info dumps.

I've been considering this question for days and finally arrived on an answer. Pages upon pages of exposition where the writer is telling me all about how Jack over there grew up in a single-parent home, got addicted to meth in his late teens, served some time in prison, found God but lost Him again when he got out, yadda yadda yadda. It's like the story-within-the-story that doesn't need to be in the story.

I'm inclined to say that you see it more often in newer writers who aren't yet confident in their ability to bring their characters to life without unnecessary backstory, but I've seen it in published authors as well. It usually makes me put the book down.
    This reminds me of Lost. Most of the beginning episodes are backstory or have a lot of for every single character. Its very annoying hence why I skipped watch a good majority of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictarium View Post
    The amount of Pennsylvania going on right now is staggering. Hang on while I go eat some Hershey's-covered Utz in my horse and buggy while we're "living here in Allentown".
    Pennsylvania, sir? I don't think so. It's pee-ay, thank you very much!
    "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, but the worlds inside people."
    -Johnny Depp

San Antonio, TX originally from Hawai'i and SoCal
    Blog Entries
    Wanna know what my current pet peeve is? People who speak - or or write, or even think - in absolutes. Number one peeve, writing or just life in general. "Different strokes for different folks."
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something. ~Anonymous (attributed to Plato)

I need to find a way of making the planning process enjoyable.
    Maybe just avoid it. I don't plan at all before I write the first draft.

Peeve: Published Authors who say that they never dreamed of becoming this famous. Yeah right.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Info dumps.
    Definitely agree there. I about gag when I see it on television programs where three or four characters are standing around, all knowing the answer, but have to share it with us: "Well, Jerry, as you know, the gahizzamafritz that's attached to the whatizzit usually implies that the thingamabob is probably a result of compressed turnpike time travel." "Absolutely, Ann, and if your gahizzamafritz is deflected by solar radiation, then it's nearly time for five minutes of boring commercials."