Dark & gritty sci-fi suggestions

Thread: Dark & gritty sci-fi suggestions

Dark & gritty sci-fi suggestions

Borrowing directly from Columbo's thread, I wonder if anyone could suggest some sci-fi that might appeal to my particular taste.

As I said in the other thread, I like my sci-fi dark and gritty, and preferably set on earth. I'd also like to try something by some of the newer sci-fi writers out there as opposed to the 'classics'.

I don't mind aliens, but I prefer the stuff that's slightly more plausible (if that makes any sense whatsoever). A natural progression (Earth as it might be 200 years from now, sort of affair).

I know I'm being very specific there, but any recs' greatly appreciated.
    "Lister, that is my private, personal, private diary; full of my personal, private, personal things."

When you say "dark & gritty", give me an example of a book that fills that bill for you so I can then peruse my mental repertoire.
    "I'm wildly expensive."
    ~ Olyver

Quote Originally Posted by Wreybies View Post
    When you say "dark & gritty", give me an example of a book that fills that bill for you so I can then peruse my mental repertoire.
    Ooh, now you got me! Truth is, despite my love for the genre, It's a very recent love affair and I've not read a lot.

The best I can give you is something like Blade Runner, but in book form... and not PHK's Do Androids Dream... because I've tried reading it and it feels nothing like Blade Runner looks.

Also another PKD adap' that I like the look of is the re-make of Total Recall, but again in book form.

I also loved the look and style of Looper. I know these are all films, but that the vibe I'm looking for in my books.

Or to put it another way: If David Fincher wrote more sci-fi. Alien 3, of course, but that was set in deep space.
    "Lister, that is my private, personal, private diary; full of my personal, private, personal things."

Quote Originally Posted by OurJud View Post
    Ooh, now you got me! Truth is, despite my love for the genre, It's a very recent love affair and I've not read a lot.

The best I can give you is something like Blade Runner, but in book form... and not PHK's Do Androids Dream... because I've tried reading it and it feels nothing like Blade Runner looks.

Also another PKD adap' that I like the look of is the re-make of Total Recall, but again in book form.
    Ok, then two of the books I mentioned in that other thread should make you a happy fellah'/gal.

Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand by Delany is awesome. It's not new, but give it a go. Delany's prose is something you have to learn, like walking in a small boat, but so worth it. If you dig that, then sink your teeth into Dhalgren also by Delany. It's a beast of a book, but damn, so good. Fair warning, both contain some (it's not all over the place) LGBT content that some readers may not want to read for personal reasons. If you don't care about that, they are AWEsome!

Also Light by M. John Harrison. It's a strange little book, and don't let the title fool you.
    Last edited by Govinda; July 20th, 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: SPaG
    "I'm wildly expensive."
    ~ Olyver

You won't get the same 'dark and gritty' feel from books than the 'dark and gritty' feel you get from films. They're very different, from what I've experienced.

If you don't like Dick, I'm not sure what I can recommend. More Dick, I guess, until you give in to his storytelling powers.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

No, I appreciate film and literature are two different mediums, Cadence, and that music plays a big part in creating the atmos of a film, but they were the best examples I could give in order to get across what I'm looking for in a book.

I'm off to amazon now, to research the books Wreybies has suggested - see if they sound like my cup of tea.

By the way, what does LGBT stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by OurJud View Post

By the way, what does LGBT stand for?
    Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender
    "I'm wildly expensive."
    ~ Olyver

I've ordered John Harrison's Light (thanks, Wreybies), but I thought I'd just share this link. I typed a few keywords into google and found this HUGE list of recommendations, many of which sound very much like what I'm after. This list could keep me going for years!!

The best science fiction books | Books | guardian.co.uk