Odd, quirky, weird, off-beat books

Thread: Odd, quirky, weird, off-beat books

Odd, quirky, weird, off-beat books

You don't even have to have enjoyed them, but I thought a discussion outside that of mainstream fiction could be interesting.

I'll start with Erlend Loe's Naïve. Super.

I almost gave up on this, but due to its relatively short length (197 pages) I stuck with it, and am still not sure if it's a work of genius or a joke.

Written in first-person, it tells the story of an unnamed, 25-year-old Norwegian who quits Uni and travels to America to look after his brother's apartment while he is away on business. While there he spends his time pondering the meaning of life. He becomes obsessed with the concept of time and whether it even has any real bearing on our lives, and is constantly faxing his meteorologist friend with questions and theories. The book also contains quite a number of pages showing hand-written lists (he's obsessed with lists) and printouts of library search results he and his brother have conducted on authors who have Norwegian taboo words for names.

The writing style appears to be incredibly simplistic. He doesn't use speech marks for dialogue and writes incredibly short paragraphs, many of them single sentence, and it was this that initially put me off. However, I stuck with it, and on reflection am glad I did, if only so that I can say I've read it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Naive-Super-.../dp/1841956724
    Last edited by OurJud; July 6th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
    "Lister, that is my private, personal, private diary; full of my personal, private, personal things."

East of the Mississippi, west of New Jersey and too close to I-80.
    So far, from what I've read, these are what stick out to me as weird, or rather interesting and stylistic stories.

John Dies at the End
    Naked Lunch
    House of Leaves (I couldn't finish it)
    Any Palahniuk or Amy Hempel story
    “Put a gun to my head and paint the wall with my brains.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
    “Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.” —Neil Gaiman

Infinite Jest -- Wallace
    Foucault's Pendulum -- Eco
    The Acid House -- Welsh

Unorthodox. Weird.

A Confederacy of Dunces -- Toole
    The White Tiger -- Adiga
    The All of It -- can't recall author

Unique, quirky.

Loved them all for different reasons. I'm going to check out House of Leaves and Naive Super. Great thread!
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

East of the Mississippi, west of New Jersey and too close to I-80.
    I've been wanting to read Infinite Jest...I just keep forgetting that I want to.
    “Put a gun to my head and paint the wall with my brains.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
    “Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.” —Neil Gaiman

I've just remembered another. In fact I'm now wondering how I could possibly forget it.

The Gas by Charles Platt. The plot involves a noxious gas that turns anyone who breaths it in, into a raving sexual maniac, void of ALL morals. I read the whole thing with my mouth hanging open in disbelief.

If you can hold of it, I suggest you do, just for the experience.
    "Lister, that is my private, personal, private diary; full of my personal, private, personal things."