Rate the books you just finished reading. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate the books you just finished reading.

East of the Mississippi, west of New Jersey and too close to I-80.
    That was the first I've read of him. He's definitely on my read everything list!
    “Put a gun to my head and paint the wall with my brains.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
    “Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.” —Neil Gaiman

Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    That was the first I've read of him. He's definitely on my read everything list!
    In the two books I mention he uses the same Southern drawl you describe in your post. He writes simply yet beautifully. Some of his descriptions are wonderful, such as this from Mucho Mojo when he talks about the heat from the sun:

[...] and of course that East Texas sun, which by 10:30am is like an infected blister leaking molten pus, doesn't help matters.
    "Lister, that is my private, personal, private diary; full of my personal, private, personal things."

The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott

It's a horror book literally about the circus from hell. Incredibly fast-moving and gripping, and yet it somehow manages to drag the most self-indulgently horrible details out to a delightfully uncomfortable pace. The first part of the book is so matter-of-fact with the gruesome elements (such as a live bat nailed to a door by its head, and a room literally painted in blood) that it prepares you for the circus in all of its extremely, disturbingly violent glory. I loved the dynamic between the protagonist Jamie and his clown alter-ego JJ, especially the things they do to their shared body to get back at each other and send messages.

The climax of the book was absolutely spectacular, starting with a humongous explosion and ending with clowns getting beaten into a fine paste by a werelizard wielding a giant blood-soaked christian cross. It was perfect.

My favourite character is the titular Pilo. He collects teeth and it's adorable. He's so pleased with his teeth collection.

I finished The Count Of Monte Cristo, the unabridged version, a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely loved the book. Dumas had an excellent writing style. All throughout the book I kept on guessing on how the Count would enact his revenge and how his antagonists would react. I also kept on putting myself in the Count's situation, assessing how I would've done things differently. All in all, an excellent read. Honestly, even though the book was a little of 1,200 pages long, I didn't want it to end.

The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson:

Kal- At the beginning I saw a totally different direction for this character. I was kind of annoyed by the random throwback to the past. I was kind of wondering why we were following a slave, and how he fit into the story. Then when he got to camp I was sure he was going to be made a soldier. Boy was I ever wrong. I ended up enjoying the past bits. I even looked forward to them after the first few. I also really enjoyed Kal as a character. The bridge crew was amazingly creative. I can't recall ever reading anything like this idea? The character development with not only Kal, but his band of mates was amazing. It seemed like the characters slowly came to life right before my eyes. By the end I was cheering them on and sad as each minor character died off so close to freedom. Not to mention who doesn't love Sly? I think the entire idea behind that relationship was imaginative and created greatly.

Dalinar and company- I was confused by much of his visions and his book. Now I followed as best you could with the hints. I enjoyed his inner most thoughts and the way he was falling apart at the seams. It screamed to be real inner unrest. It was not forced, nor did it come off as fake. The entire setting around this character screamed falling apart. The end with the reveal was a bit? I am not sure yet. I will gather my thoughts on it, probably after reading the next few books. I do know I cheered behind the blue and felt myself willing Kal onward during the big moment.

The rest of the cast- They were done nicely. Shallen was a little odd for me at first. I thought she was a little boring. Later she grows on me, but really more so for the King's sister and not herself. Szeth is quite interesting and I feel I have an idea what will happen to him, but I will keep it to myself for now. The interludes were odd to me. Did they really mean anything at all? Some of them did nothing for the story, and I suppose it will be more enlightening later, but for now it left me wondering if they were needed.

Still overall this story is one of the most imaginative and creative pieces I have read in a long time. 4.7/5
    Buy the ticket take the ride.

HUNTER S THOMSON'S FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS

One of the best reads I've had in many a year!

So taken am I by Thomson's style that I shall have to be careful that his influences don't cause me to try and copy him, if I ever get around to writing this road novel of mine.

^Good luck. Any time I write school papers now I ramble like Hunter.
    Buy the ticket take the ride.

Almost done with Wool, the omnibus version. Thought it was decent. So many people on Goodreads are calling this a classic, and I can't help but think it's all hype -- fellow writers drunk on the notion that Howey's a self-publishing success. The book is a little over five hundred pages long, at roughly 350 words per page, and I mention that because it seems like in all of that literary real estate, the story actually accomplishes very little. Won't spoil any of it here. But, nearing the end of the book as I am, just think it is surprising how flat the characters and the world seem on the page. Other, better writers have accomplished more in less.

Still, it was enjoyable. The equivalent of a summer action flick.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Twice now I've had to stop myself buying Wool just to "see what the hype is about" because I have an uneasy suspicion that's the main reason it has so much hype to begin with.

Last book I read was The Pearl by J Steinbeck...basically about a couple who find their lives can be changed by great wealth and find they were already rich without it. I can't say I really took to the whole story and felt it a bit biblical at times...not one I would recormmend.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast