Concept Art for an Iliad Retelling

Thread: Concept Art for an Iliad Retelling

Concept Art for an Iliad Retelling

I'm working on a novelized adaptation (or rather retelling) of the ancient Trojan War myth, which I explain in more detail in this thread. Here I will share some concept art I have sketched for the story's characters:

This is Helen, the woman with the face that launched a thousand ships. In my retelling Helen is the headstrong daughter of King Memnon of Kush (aka Nubia or Sudan), renown both for her beauty and her talent at archery. The Trojan prince Paris falls heads over heel for her and marries her, but he will have to protect her from the lusty Greeks.

This is my rendition of Achilles, the Greeks' champion fighter. Since my adaptation will be told with a pro-Trojan slant (in contrast to the original Iliad's pro-Greek bias), Achilles will have to receive a Villain Upgrade. I picture this take of Achilles as a hotheaded and muscle-bound brute who works as the Greek warlord Agamemnon's right-hand man. Think of him as Conan the Barbarian's evil twin.

Sketchy profiles for Paris of Troy and Helen again
    Last edited by Tyrannohotep; June 15th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.

You've set quite the task for yourself, but it sounds like a neat concept. Nice sketches, too. Good luck with it!
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

I like your designs! Very unique and well drawn! A few words of advice: Add more variation in line weight and try to keep the shading pencil strokes going in the same direction. This will help add balance and a clean finish!

This always impresses me!! I can't even draw a stick man straight !!!