Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned - Page 5

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned

Sock puppetry sounds like a good euphemism for masturbation, but I suppose that would only work in the context of an entirely different kind of website.

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    I'd never heard the term until reading of it here, is it an Americanism?
    A sock puppet is an account created on the Internet for devious means, including but not limited to pretending to be another person, reviewing one's own work, commenting on one's own blog, and, in this case, creating a host of usernames to vote for oneself in a poll.

Does it really matter where the term came from?
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    A sock puppet is an account created on the Internet for devious means, including but not limited to pretending to be another person, reviewing one's own work, commenting on one's own blog, and, in this case, creating a host of usernames to vote for oneself in a poll.
    Oh thank heavens. Here I was having a nervous breakdown incinerating all the video tapes of my Spongebob sock puppet originals in hopes that none of them had made their way to the internet yet.

I kid.

Have there been any more recent cases of this, just out of curiosity?
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    I'd never heard the term until reading of it here, is it an Americanism?
    Mostly it's an internetism, or a forumism, which in the English-speaking world was/is largely populated, yes, by Americans.
    For the uninitiated, it isn’t a piece of footwear with googly eyes stuck on that’s got the Twitterverse in a flap, rather the practice of creating a false online identity that can be used to anonymously promote your own opinions or products. In a pre-Internet world, commentators might have used the words stooge, shill, or plant...

In the recent case, the crime writer RJ Ellory was caught using a sock puppet identity to write positive reviews of his own books (the phrase “magnificent genius” was used) while adding disparaging reviews for rival authors. The literary world weighed in with much condemnation...
    -Nick Cross; Published 14 September 2012

While few sock puppets go to the length of making websites, preferring to remain in the shadows of bulletin boards, blog comments, and other forums, some do, and are sometimes capable of deceiving otherwise highly educated and knowledgeable individuals. A sock puppet website can be used to create the illusion that a false personality is real, advance a viral marketing campaign, as part of an astroturfing effort, or to undermine people with opposing views.

The origins of the sock puppet name are probably a reference to the ease with which a sock puppet can be made. A real sock puppet can be as simple as a sock placed over the hand, but it becomes an alternate personality controlled by the user. On the medium of the Internet, a sock puppet is a false or joke account created by a regular user, usually for malicious purposes. A user may make a sock puppet account to reply to him or herself on blogs or threads, making the topic appear to be more interesting, or to attack people with opposing views. A sock puppet account can also be used to skew votes and polls, and to generally manipulate other users of the Internet resource. Because sock puppet accounts are usually harmful, most websites frown on them.
    -WiseGEEK

Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    Have there been any more recent cases of this, just out of curiosity?
    Not at the scale that led to this thread last year, but instances of one or two sock puppet accounts do turn up every now and then, sometimes (as J indicated) by banned members trying to bypass their bans.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

If you're gonna do it, you have to use a name like Lamb Chop or Jim Henson, 'cause it'll make for a way better story once you're banned. (I'm guessing the Lamb Chop reference may be a bit dated, but the kids can Google it.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Not at the scale that led to this thread last year, but instances of one or two sock puppet accounts do turn up every now and then, sometimes (as J indicated) by banned members trying to bypass their bans.
    I just read your post in the poetry contest thread. The suspicion is too strong. From here on out I'm going to operate under the assumption that all members but me are sock puppets of a single individual out to make me look a fool.

I'm looking at you Pandora/Sam. You aren't fooling anyone, you hear!? I have decades worth of tinfoil and a basic competence in origami.

"Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

From here on out I'm going to operate under the assumption that all members but me are sock puppets of a single individual out to make me look a fool.
    I'm halfway convinced that all ~2400 active members are just fragments* of my imagination, and I've just been banning bits of myself.

*or figs, dates and other ingredients of the ever-popular word salad ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    I'm halfway convinced that all ~2400 active members are just fragments* of my imagination, and I've just been banning bits of myself.

*or figs, dates and other ingredients of the ever-popular word salad ...
    Yeah... I (we/you) have been too afraid to tell you (me/us) for fear of banishment...

Has the offending entry been removed from the contest? What generally happens with that?

Yeah... I (we/you) have been too afraid to tell you (me/us) for fear of banishment...

Has the offending entry been removed from the contest? What generally happens with that?
    It has now. It's not been common enough to really develop a "what generally happens", but actions thus far have depended upon when in the challenge cycle the cheating has been discovered. In all discovered cases, it's worked out counter to the intent of the cheater. So far, the biggest disruption has been to the balance of votes in polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Trygve View Post
    Sock puppetry sounds like a good euphemism for masturbation, but I suppose that would only work in the context of an entirely different kind of website.

i would LOL this if i knew how. i don't see the button for it.....

this isn't the first thread i've seen where the staff had to remind people about the rules..... how about you all follow one simple rule....

if you think your about to do something that's gonna piss someone off, don't do it. if your not intelligent enough to know the difference between saying or doing something dumb and obeying the rules then why are you here? i grew up in special needs classes and even i can follow this forums rules. they are so simple and straight forward i dumbed it down to " just behave ".