Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned - Page 3

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned

Quote Originally Posted by amsawtell View Post
    I am kind of relieved to hear about this. I was beginning to suspect my own judgement on poetry.
    Don't relax too much, an informed personal judgement and the opinion of the masses do not always match, Pam Ayres was voted best poet and Rolf Harris best artist in popular votes.
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

How sad and poor is the ego which needs to create that many accounts to try and assure itself of winning ?

I seem to recall that Hemlock did know how to string words together quite well, pity the person could not stand on their own talent and be so judged

BTW - there is only one Dunluchyn
    The world probably couldn't cope with anymore
    Life's too short to drink bad wine or eat indifferent cheese

The second person Cran alluded to is bearycool. S/he has also been permanently banned.

This is becoming a very serious matter. I suggest that if anyone is guilty of having more than one account, you contact a staff member at once. If you come forward there's a chance we might observe a more lenient approach. If we have to root you out, I'm afraid it's the end.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

It should be pointed out that these were not people who created an account, left, then came back and created another one because they couldn't remember their previous name or password. That can and does happen, and if this is your situation, there is no recrimination. These were individuals who created sock puppet accounts in order to stack the votes in their favor, and sadly, to comment favorably on their own work.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

That's genuinely crazy. I do remember a member who created several puppets to promote his work(s). That was kinda fun because everyone with eyes figured it out right quick, but this stuff is just sad. I never did remember the name I signed up as in 2004 sometime, but that's been purged. I hope
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Don't relax too much, an informed personal judgement and the opinion of the masses do not always match, Pam Ayres was voted best poet and Rolf Harris best artist in popular votes.
    And your point is? I happen to like Pam and think Rolf is a great ambassador for popularising art. Or are you one of the elitists?

Maybe I'm a bit dim, but how can cheating at the Poetry comp possibly make one (or ten) any better at poetry? And how can someone improve their writing skills if they are only listening to themselves?

Or is the lure of awards so great that idiots will go to almost any lengths to get them?

Bazzy, you've got it all wrong. It is the skills of the reader that need improving. How it is that they cannot recognize my works as the greatest thing since the sliced coming, or muenster cheese, is a mystery. The weaker of mind need to be lead. A chorus of voices (created or otherwise) simply guide them to the proper choice, the correct choice: ME! I am the one. My true task is to simply get the world to see it.

I am tired now, so bother me later. Spittle on my screen. Happy?
    Carry on, underlings...
    Last edited by Kevin; March 24th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    And your point is? I happen to like Pam and think Rolf is a great ambassador for popularising art. Or are you one of the elitists?

Maybe I'm a bit dim, but how can cheating at the Poetry comp possibly make one (or ten) any better at poetry? And how can someone improve their writing skills if they are only listening to themselves?

Or is the lure of awards so great that idiots will go to almost any lengths to get them?
    I've thought about this one and come up with - maybe the reason is not for the sake of winning the award for the award itself, maybe it is to be able to mention in future credits - winner of x,y and z. But no matter what their reasoning was, it is wrong. Sad!

ps - Olly, I love Pam's poetry and I quite like Rolf, but I agree with what you say - maybe they should have won the popularity contest, then no-one would be able to argue with that.

Nothing against either of them, Bazz. Except I was once held by police for about three hours because someone who had just done a bunk in the vicinity I was trying to hitch a lift was described as 'Looking like Rolf Harris'. To some anyone with glasses and a beard was like him or Gerry Adams, but that is another story.

Nothing against either of them, but best poet and artist?
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

'Looking like Rolf Harris'
    Do you sound Australian?

The problem with 'best' is its subjectivity. Like poor deluded Kevin, we don't always see the truth of something. If the British public had any taste would the Crazy Frog be a floor filler? Would we have Groucho Marxism?

The choice between being a starving artist or a wealthy entertainer will always be with us.