Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned - Page 16

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 689101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Just a question, please?

How do people have time to be a bunch of other people? Mercy! I work fulltime, have 8 cats, one dog, and one small house to deal with. This is a nice forum. Why would anyone want to mess with it? That makes no sense.
    I can only suppose that some people have nothing better to do than be difficult to others.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    I can only suppose that some people have nothing better to do than be difficult to others.
    Well that is sad. There is so much incredible joy in life, it's a shame someone can't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Just a question, please?

How do people have time to be a bunch of other people? Mercy! I work fulltime, have 8 cats, one dog, and one small house to deal with. This is a nice forum. Why would anyone want to mess with it? That makes no sense.
    It actually makes perfect sense. a writer creates characters and story lines, for any good story there is the main story and then all of the sub stories all taking place at the same time. A good writer will have multi dimensional characters with conflicting personality traits.

This forum breeds the perfect environment for a member to be the best sock puppet out there.
    Last edited by rcallaci; October 31st, 2015 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    It actually makes perfect sense. a writer creates characters and story lines, for any good story there is the main story and then all of the sub stories all taking place at the same time. A good writer will have multi dimensional characters with conflicting personality traits.

This forum breeds the perfect environment for a member to be the best sock puppet out there.
    Oh my! I would never have thought of that! I have a lot to learn. I guess I'm too busy working and cleaning litterboxes to make up a new name and profile, LOL!

Personally, I think sock-puppetry is pathetic. What a low thing to do and what a mess it can lead to for our great mods, admins and etc.

Maybe they don't have the strength of character to survive on their own? Who knows. Ban ban ban.

Imagine a world where underpants-puppets exist? Is that what you want, Daniel? Is it? IS IT?

Well, they kind of already do exist at my house. I banned a few just this morning.

If one of y'all could drop by here and do the litterboxes here, I'll have time to make up a new name of FuzzBall and post some bawdy stories of hairless cats.

Oh...and the bathroom needs attention, polish the piano and the china cabinet, do the laundry, mow the yard, and wash my car.

Isn't making up sock puppets a sign of insecurity in who we are? I've seen this on a political forum. It's very strange.

I didn't even know what a sock puppet was when I first saw that term a few years ago. It's yet another one of those oddities that have different names depending on where one lives. In the UK, we have traditionally called them "glove puppets". Thanks to the internet, the "sock puppets" have gradually crept into Britain too, but the anti-immigration parties are, apparently, working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post

This statement is so so true.... On another forum where I eventually became the sole admin I used to tolerate what here is called sock puppets. As a Mod and than a admin we turned a blind eye to many of those who had multiple accounts. Those writers who had multiples mainly used them as an exercise in character development- a performance artist type of thing. Being a mod and than admin I usually knew many of the multiple offenders. Some of their characters were fun and interesting and it created a vibrant atmosphere. But eventually it got abused and caused chaos and a mass exodus from the serious writers who were outraged when they found many of the members they were friends with were fake.

I was a proponent of the theatre of the absurd among many of the mod discussions we had. I said as long as it is kept secret what harm in having a creative experiment in character development. Many of our prominent sock puppets were extraordinary writers. But the not so good ones made it a circus. It blew up in our faces and eventually ruined and destroyed a vibrant and excellent writing site. Deception breeds chaos- performance art should be out in the open and sock puppets should be sewed shut.

The sock puppet rule is a good one - I learned the hard way...

happy writing
    bob

EDIT--This site when I was a mod as well as admin never tolerated sock puppets. So don't fret....
    Last edited by rcallaci; October 31st, 2015 at 03:43 PM.
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things