Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned - Page 12

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned

One possibility is that they think any criticism of their work is wrong, and by praising themselves they seek to right that wrong.

I do find the psychology interesting. I play chess online, and the chess website puts up a list of accounts banned for computer cheating - it's about 20 per day, continuous throughout the year.

I wanna be a boss
    I wanna be a big boss
    I wanna boss the world around
    I wanna be the be the biggest boss
    that ever bossed the world around.

10cc

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
    Here will we sit, and let the sounds of music
    Creep into our ears: soft stillness and the night
    Become the touches of sweet harmony.

- Shakespeare,
    Merchant...Act 5

cheating at sport, (yes chess is a sport and could be in the Olympic's (look it up)) I can understand....but this???
    Hidden Content the confession part one - Currently free on Amazon from 13/06/15 to the 18/06/2015

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    I have only a little clue. Some people think the Internet is important and that if you are Somebody on a forum, it means you're really Somebody.

I don't pretend to understand that mindset but there it is.
    Are you saying I'm still a Nobody? That sucks.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    Are you saying I'm still a Nobody? That sucks.
    Yeah, but you know a lot. I hear a whole lot of questions and the answer is usually "Nobody Knows". You may not be a somebody, but you're a know-it-all Nobody!

my sock-hand puppets are all Marilyn Monroe... ish. Sorry...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    I have only a little clue. Some people think the Internet is important and that if you are Somebody on a forum, it means you're really Somebody.

I don't pretend to understand that mindset but there it is.
    astroannie about says it here.

I see it like this, after I got over my shock of sock puppetry, I decided there are two types, maybe more but I think they would be sub categories of these. One, is those who want notoriety, the other is mischievous content. To brake these two down, the notoriety person gains the prestige through their comments and others who agree with them. The mischievous people do it simply to cause havoc within the sight. Like posting comments which flame or hog the post. I have seen these types where a person will flame a comment and feed this fire they started with non constructive and strictly combative attitude.

I must admit I have been sucked into some of the posts by these people. I also have reacted personally to legit comments because I have taken them to heart. (I hope I have, rectified those moments of personal misconduct.) These people, who do this in multiple accounts, can desperately hinder a legit thread where a person can gain insight to their shortcomings in what ever field they are seeking help. Because of the garbage which has been strewn in the flaming manner.

I recall a post where a person wrote a line on capitalizing the word "Dad". The person whom declared it wrong, boasted of being a journalist and having published many articles and having a higher education. This person flatly denied that "Dad" can be capitalized unless it starts a sentence. Myself and many others disagreed with them, and what should have been a pleasant question and answer post turned into a heated debate over an off topic issue.

I have seen in article comments section of Yahoo and Google news, to "not feed the pig". Meaning to not rise to the flamer and other disrupting influences within the comments sections. I find it difficult to practice not defending logic and professionalism, in other words not rising to the bait of the flamer.

Well, this must be a something I have been bugged about. I have written so much here.
    My friends and family call me Bill, you may also.Hidden Content

When people meet people,
    Potential Strangers, Acquaintances, Friends.

When dogs meet people,
    Potential Friends, Acquaintances, Strangers.

I would rather be the Dog.

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

A word without thought can destroy.
    Please remember to think before you speak.

Think I'll write a story in which I realize to my horror that I am a sock puppet.

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
    Here will we sit, and let the sounds of music
    Creep into our ears: soft stillness and the night
    Become the touches of sweet harmony.

- Shakespeare,
    Merchant...Act 5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1434231852381.5.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	8658

me and my sockpuppet
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by musichal View Post
    Think I'll write a story in which I realize to my horror that I am a sock puppet.
    That could be fun to write - and read