Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned - Page 11

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Serious Case of Sock Puppetry: Member Banned

I`m new here but I`m quite astonished that someone would actually go to such lengths as to create multiple accounts just to congratulate themselves or have a better chance at winning a contest.
    This world is quite bonkers, and not a little bit hilarious.

You couldn`t write this stuff could you.

Monaque

If the person in question is still at it, would it be possible to IP ban them? True there are work around for an IP ban, but it would be annoying for the person at least. Also maybe the mods should check IP log ins if that's possible. Though if two people go to the same library that'll mess with somethings. PS - Presently at work in the library. I shake my head at people who cheat others out of hard work. Yes, your work must have been hard to achieve, but you are on no grounds to be placed on a pedestal with cheating. Thank you admins and mods for knocking anyone like this from their high horse.

We have methods of making sure they don't come back.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

I won't lie I just grinned like a maniac and scared some people at work XD thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    We have methods of making sure they don't come back.

Soylent Green?

Quote Originally Posted by Ideduce View Post
    If the person in question is still at it, would it be possible to IP ban them? True there are work around for an IP ban, but it would be annoying for the person at least. Also maybe the mods should check IP log ins if that's possible. Though if two people go to the same library that'll mess with somethings.
    If the IP is static (ie, dedicated to one account) then yes. Problems do arise when banning shared/public IPs, and more in cases where domains are banned (which happens occasionally after multiple hacking or major spamming attempts from particular domains). We do check IPs when it seems warranted but not for every new log in; the system records every log in, so we can backtrack when needed.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Maybe try banning by IP address...? IP addresses do change, but it's a semi-permeant solution, and would probably deter such sock-puppetting for quite a while.

Well, this is awkward.

seriously i know this is over a year old but why oh why would someone stoop so low as to cheat a contest on a forum, which as people as said, is just basically patting themselves on the back, I mean dont that in your time, and dont cause other's to have to listen to your rubbish, or cause people work for something that is supposed to be fun

I have only a little clue. Some people think the Internet is important and that if you are Somebody on a forum, it means you're really Somebody.

I don't pretend to understand that mindset but there it is.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!