describing a scene or mood,

Thread: describing a scene or mood,

describing a scene or mood,

Hi i am having a few problems in describing scenes or moods,

I realised after re reading my work that I know how the character feels or how the place they are looks because I came up with it....
    can anyone suggest any good sites or examples to help develop these scenes or moods?

This is always subjective. You can check out some books that cover the subject from an instructional angle. Yet the best way is from your favorite authors. Pull out several books you admire and know have some great scenes and study them.
    Anything that doesn't take years off your life and drives you to suicide hardly seems worth doing.
    - Cormac Mccarthy

Describing a scene in five senses is a good way to go. Use taste, smell, sight, sound, and touch in varying degrees. Also think about near and far. Don't just describe the things close to the action or character (unless you are in a small room that is), describe what is distant (on the horizon etc, or the sound of the traffic on the motorway down the hill etc)

Mood of character is a tough one for me. I hate thinking about how my characters a feeling but I always try to describe it with an action like:

He dug his nails into his palm
    She sat heavily on the sofa, her eyes closing
    His fingers drummed on table while his foot tapped rapidly at the floor

“The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish.” —Robert Louis Stevenson.

namesake
    The Bookshelf Muse: Introducing...the Character Traits Thesaurus

Here is a website with character traits which can help with setting a mood.

thanks this looks like it will help