Empress Theresa -- it's on Amazon KINDLE - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Empress Theresa -- it's on Amazon KINDLE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    I know enough to say that what you have given us is uninteresting. A book must engage the reader from the beginning. You owe your audience a story which they can connect with from the very start, not a promise that if they just wait long enough it will get good. There is nothing in those first chapters to convince me of that, or even to suggest that it will. Sure, there might be more action, but why should I care? Because you say so? That shows an amazing level of hubris on the part of the author.

This is my last post about this book, and I suggest that everyone else drop it also. This book has received far more attention on these forums than it deserves.
    I have to strongly disagree here. Millions of people every weekend tune in to watch NASCAR races waiting sometimes several hours through stupid yellow flags and rain delays, just waiting for a horrific wreck.

You don't understand how it works. Terry has the means to enforce his wish;his entreaty was not unsubtle.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    You don't understand how it works. Terry has the means to enforce his wish;his entreaty was not unsubtle.
    I wasn't posting about the book, it was just a joke about what Terry said.

Quote Originally Posted by empresstheresa View Post
    The Best Picture award is voted on by all members of the Academy including the many thousands of actors. Do you think Sandra Bullock and Demi Moore are going to vote for a movie starring a teenaged actress? Dream on!
    why must you torture me in this way

Quick link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award#Voters

"All AMPAS members must be invited to join by the Board of Governors, on behalf of Academy Branch Executive Committees. Membership eligibility may be achieved by a competitive nomination or a member may submit a name based on other significant contribution to the field of motion pictures."

Demi Moore is a dubious candidate.

EDIT: Yep that is my total contribution to this thread, g'night folks! (tips hat and tap-dances away)
    (it's actually half past nine in the morning here)
    (irrelevant)
    Last edited by Staff Deployment; March 16th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.

If you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird
    I was wondering when Mr Lee would be brought up again.

If a group of writers aren't inspired to read your book from the first 30 pages, or think anything good enough about it to want to purchase it, then why on earth do you think you have a chance of making money from this stale project?

Or is the publishing of your book on Amazon just a further opportunity for you to shout at some more 'unworthy' reviewers? Because it won't sell. But I can guarantee you'll get some frank members of the public share their opinion on it eventually.

Since you haven't read the book you don't know how it reads. Nor can you guess what the between the lines meaning is.
    Then why did you make a thread about it in a critique section of the forum?

(thanks to whoever moved the thread to publishing)
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

I've been reading this for the past couple of days. I wonder how long this argument will last? anyone want to place the bets? I mean Jesus what's the point of arguing with someone who just doesn't get it? It doesn't matter if ten or ten thousand say the same thing about it, he will never get it... I mean I see this, so does Terry so does anyone else? Stop feeding this guy.
    Just a simple hello can brighten a day... ohai dere

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I wasn't posting about the book, it was just a joke about what Terry said.
    Unclear at best. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by hiatus View Post
    I've been reading this for the past couple of days. I wonder how long this argument will last? anyone want to place the bets? I mean Jesus what's the point of arguing with someone who just doesn't get it? It doesn't matter if ten or ten thousand say the same thing about it, he will never get it... I mean I see this, so does Terry so does anyone else? Stop feeding this guy.
    Lots of people see it. They just disregard that for amusement's sake. That the poster in question keeps at it speaks well for his integrity and perseverance, if not his judgement in horse-backing.
    People have tried to help after all. I've pointed out some of the many similar (and better-executed) turns on this plotline, that could be read and magpied in order to make the work more interesting.
    We're essentially talking about a repeat of Pippi Longstocking here, and the empowering thingaroo might as well be a twonky or any-other McGuffin. Make the empress theresa ten, keep her ten like two Jefftys, give her Lucy van Pelt's personality, and do the Gomez twist, and it might actually be a winner as a children's adventure/satire. I think the gimmick ploy of trying to sell this to Catholics on the basis that the protagonist is of that persuasion is a doomed and foolish notion akin to trying to sell Sarah Palin to women as a potential candidate based on her gender and not her qualifications;a fool's errand at best.
    But old Norm persists, blithely ignoring all of that.
    I have a copy now. My wife spent the six bucks to stop all of the evil chuckling and hand-rubbing I was indulging in.
    So there ya go, Mr. Boutin. A sale!
    So....sorry, Terry. I'm not trying to do the -last-word-getting thing, really, but I have the thing. If you have a kindle, I'm allowed to share.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Actually, the cover kind of works in a campy, bad-on-purpose way. Sort of an outsider, folk art style, reminiscent of Howard Finster. The figure of the woman is a little creepy -- I'm drawn to the oddly rendered cleavage -- but maybe that's just me. If the title and pasted on notes were hand-written (or in a good, rough "handwritten" font), and if the title was much bigger -- you might be able to pull it off. It would also work better if it was more dense -- less of that weak blue background, maybe add a border. Look up Finster or maybe Mark Bechter -- you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by JosephB; March 17th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Banned
    Maine - we're here so you don't have to be
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    Actually, the cover kind of works in a campy, bad-on-purpose way. Sort of an outsider, folk art style, reminiscent of Howard Finster. The figure of the woman is a little creepy -- I'm drawn to the oddly rendered cleavage -- but maybe that's just me. If the title and pasted on notes were hand-written (or in a good, rough "handwritten" font), and if the title was much bigger -- you might be able to pull it off. It would also work better if it was more dense -- less of that weak blue background, maybe add a border. Look up Finster or maybe Mark Bechter -- you'll see what I mean.
    Thank you for your objective, intelligent comments, Joseph.

The painting I did looks much better that the KINDLE cover. As I said before the software for my Kodak camera doesn't work, so I'm working on the MY PICTURES copy and will update the cover soon. It takes a lot work using PAINT. The blue on KINDLE was a big surprise and it's terrible. I'm working on it. Why not buy another camera from a different make? I've already made changes in MY PICTURES and they're not on my painting!

And yes, I have been thinking along the lines of your comment: cover kind of works in a campy, bad-on-purpose way.........
    but for a slightly different reason.
    I wanted the cover to tell readers who had never heard of the book something about the nature of the story. There's a jet fighter, a Boeing 747, the White House, the British Parliament building, a five star general's shoulder insignia, some kind of explosion, and what's that on the upper right corner? Theresa is holding the world in her hands. Easy to guess she's not just studying geography.
    Unless the cover designer and author is a pathological liar, this cover tells the reader this is not another story about a teenage girl agonizing about her boring life.

But, along the lines of your comment, this requires sacrificing the "museum quality painting" aspect of some book covers. I thought the message was worth the sacrifice
    =========================

I've sent an email to Amazon asking if there's a way I can change the LOOK INSIDE! sample pages. Amazon chose them and they don't give a fair "sample" of the book.
    Last edited by empresstheresa; March 18th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

CMYK color profile. Google it.
    Hidden Content

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast