Empress Theresa -- it's on Amazon KINDLE - Page 4

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Empress Theresa -- it's on Amazon KINDLE

Checked the book out on Amazon.

Discovered that Theresa has 'girlfriends'.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Banned
    Maine - we're here so you don't have to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadence
    [QUOTE
    You'll notice I didn't include Best Picture on the list. They're not going to give Best Picture to a movie about a teenager.
    Life of Pi was nominated for this year's award. And your bias towards age will not be beneficial to your writing career.[/QUOTE]

That's typical !

How can I be biased against the young when I wrote a book to inspire them, a book in which a teenager comes out looking very, very, very good?

The Life of Pi is a fantasy. Doesn't the whole experience turn out to be a dream of something? Anyway, it didn't get Best Picture.

The Best Picture award is voted on by all members of the Academy including the many thousands of actors. Do you think Sandra Bullock and Demi Moore are going to vote for a movie starring a teenaged actress? Dream on!

They might give Best Actress for the Theresa Hartley role. They have to be politically correct. The masses of people, including the millions of kids who buy all the theatre tickets and DVDs, will be rooting for Theresa.

The Miracle Worker moved people to tears but didn't get Best Picture

The Diary of Anne Frank got best picture in 1959 when WWII was a fresh memory, but today? Probably not.
    Last edited by empresstheresa; March 15th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Banned
    Checked the book out on Amazon.

Discovered that Theresa has 'girlfriends'.

That's typical !

From chapter 1:

A crowd of neighbors was gathering near the confused firemen. I left the house and walked over to join the onlookers. “What's going on?” I asked one of my girlfriends.

Theresa is only ten years old. What's the matter with you?

Sorry, I find your style of writing confusing.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Don't really have a dog in this fight but, empresstheresa, I strongly suggest you find a new cover for your book. It's so poorly done it's like a padlock on the door -- I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually turning readers away.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon M View Post
    Don't really have a dog in this fight but, empresstheresa, I strongly suggest you find a new cover for your book. It's so poorly done it's like a padlock on the door -- I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually turning readers away.
    You're absolutely right.
    But KINDLE requires a cover and I painted this one.
    My digital camera didn't do a good job, and now, the Kodak software doesn't work anymore so I can't take more pictures. This is why Kodak is going out of business!

But I have the picture in MY PICTURES and I'm working on it.
    Stay tuned.

Some young adult novel writers just have a neighborhood teenager smile into the camera for a cover design. It tells readers nothing about content. I wanted to give readers a hint of the kind of stuff inside.

How many people have noticed my KINDLE listing besides a few dozen people on this forum and a couple others? There's plenty of time.

Banned
    Sorry, I find your style of writing confusing.

From Chapter one, page two:
    My story began quietly with no hint of what was coming.

I was home alone at age ten while my parents worked but I was safe.
    What's confusing about that?

I believe I found your book in your last thread for it, "Empress Theresa- what would you do with unlimited power?". I searched it on Amazon, and yeah you may want to change that cover of yours...

What does any of this movie discussion have to do with this book? Projecting a newly released, self-published book to a movie is fantasy. Either the book will sell, or it will not. Either the author will make it available for review, or he will not. Short of that all we have to go by is the cover and what excerpts are available.

ET is proud of his work and justifies it with passion and bias. Simply completing a novel is a laudable accomplishment. Whether or not it is a good novel only readers can say. What I have seen of it does not appeal to me. The plot, as described, seems cartoonish and contrived; the characters are two dimensional--from the excerpts posted; and the writing, while technically sound, is stilted, choppy, and obviously the work of an inexperienced writer.

While that may sound harsh, it is not intended that way. ET has spent a lot of energy here and in other threads promoting, discussing, and defending this book, but books are made up of plot, characters, and writing; if what is publicly posted fails in those categories how can I expect the rest to be any different? And why would I pay to find out? No, I'm not a teenager, but at thirteen my opinion of this book would have been much worse.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

True, saying it will get turned into a movie is wayyyy to early.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast