Hobbies

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Hobbies

Beyond writing (my main hobby) I'm really into all sorts of different crafts. I like to think that I'm actually quite creative as long as I don't have to draw on paper, lol.
    I've crocheted tons of blankets, like this one I made for a lady at the seniors home I worked at. She only had this tiny blanket and I felt so bad for her every time I went in to see her =(
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120925_052841.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	4229
    I also sew! My girlfriend got me into it a few years ago when we spent literally every day together. I feel sometimes like its a dying hobby, because it's so hard to find supplies sometimes. I wish we had more than one fabric store in my town, but that's what I get for living in a small city. Right now I'm working on a quilt for a coworkers grandson. She was going to buy one for him and was complaining about how expensive they were and I told her I'd make one for her =) It'll be sized to fit a single bed when I'm done. Spiderman anyone?

Name:	856540_10152548664100655_1886648370_o.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	4230
    But I think my absolute favorite hobby is baking. I started baking around the same time I started writing (about 5 years old), and it's one hobby that I've never gotten tired of. I even had my own cookie business for a couple of years. I didn't make much, but enough to say I had my own money when I was in the states and wasn't allowed to work.
    A couple of years ago, my mom signed me up for cake decorating classes. She had had a cake decorating business when my brother and I were small and was thinking of starting up again and wanted me as an assistant. Turns out I'm pretty good, and I love free handing character designs. This was my latest cake, I just finished it up today as a gift for the son of a couple I know who are having a hard time.

Name:	856633_10152551447105655_791619954_o.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	4231
    My friends also have an annual Halloween party and I make the cake for that every year. Last year I started planning the cake in July because I was so excited =)

My wife is a crafter. She used to be the talent for an online business we had, designing and making yarn and thread (out of the raw material) for crafting use, for crochet and knitting. We sleep under a homemade quilt covered by a homemade (knitted) coverlet that her daughter made. I love the cake. You should come and visit the "Let's Eat" thread, where the food is, and tell us about cake decorating, and cake in general. I'm certain that people would like that
    Our bedroom is full of the evidence-she has something like fifteen large totes full of swatches of material that she'll never ever use but won't let go of, and we've moved that stuff cross-country four times now.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I think I drive my husband a bit batty with my crafting. I turned our spare room into my craft room when his brother decided not to move in with us, and I've got fabric all over the place, not to mention all the flowers and feathers and ribbons for fascinators (hair pieces). My computer desk in the living room is always a mess too, because I'm forever doing things while I'm watching shows or what not, whether it be sketching, crocheting, stitching.
    It's kind of awesome that you made your own materials! I'd probably do something like that, but it would end up being one more thing to take up space, lol
    I'll have to check out that thread =) I have a bit of a deadline on the quilt so I've been working on that and haven't had a chance to move much past introducing myself.

She has a spinning wheel in the living room and is spinning some fiber while we watch "Chopped". I bought her a couple of football fields worth of raw merino wool for her birthday, and she's just finishing that stuff up. Part of it is going to make me a Cthulhu hat. I'm going to color that stuff myself, using fabric dye and a salad spinner.
    I'm certain that you drive him more than a little batty...my guitars and music make her nuts, so we're even, and let's not even get started on the boxes and boxes of books we both have
    Finish the quilt. The Let's Eat thread isn't going to die out anytime soon.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    I used to own a custom picture framing store and really enjoyed doing that. I had two of my favorites where I took the Escher drawing "Stairs," and did a black mat on the inside with spacers and silver filament, then a white mat with a silver outer mat in a black frame. The other was a modern art piece with several colors in it, and I cut a mat corner with red, blue, yellow, and black. I put it in a white metal frame. They were both pretty awesome.

I wanted to start doing framing on the side again but I don't have the money for the equipment right now, plus I plan on moving.

I'm just a jewelry maker and a but of a baker. The jewelry has been eluding me for a while now so I don't have anything special to show. I don't make my own materials, either. I do modify what I've found/bought though. (Currently in a phase where I paint things with nail polish which gives it an interesting texture and patina--especially metal beads).

I can knit and sew. I can bake. I can do all sorts of things.

BUT the one thing that I cannot do is crochet. My hands won't do what they are supposed to do once they hold a crocket hook. You have my utmost admiration. That blanket looks perfect.

If you are driving you husband crazy because of your crafting there are two things to say.

1) Darling, would you prefer it if I became interested in high fashion and went out every week to buy new outfits?

2) Darling, have you ever really looked in your workshop/garage/utility room?

On clear nights I'm an amateur astronomer. I also dabble in photography.

Last edited by Terry D; February 15th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Oh my goodness! All these hobbies are so interesting! Stop giving me ideas people =P I'm the sort of person that if I feel reasonably confident in it or can find a decent tutorial and it interests me, I'll do it. It ends with a lot of missed marks, but I usually have fun doing it. My husband, on the other hand, does nothing but sit at his computer and grump all day. Ahh, gotta love opposites.

Moderan - A chtulu hat!? You'll have to show when it's done!
    Lewdog - you should go for it once you've moved! You may even be able to make a little money off of it, and if you like doing it, why not?
    Amsawtell - My friends and I actually started a company last year that hasn't really gone beyond the beginning stages, but basically it's me (who makes fascinators), my best friend (who sews like crazy, she even made costumes for a tv movie of her brothers) and my bff's sister in law who makes sea glass jewelry to sell to people who come here on cruises.
    Dolphinlee - my mom tried to teach me crocheting from time to time over many years, but I was never able to pick it up until I decided I wanted to teach myself. The first project I made was a scarf and I forgot to count my stitches and the poor thing got picked apart and put back together so many times and it looked like a roller coaster with all the ups and downs, but I was so proud that I wore it all I could (living in Florida at the time that wasn't much lol). Took a lot of practice to get to where I am now, and even so I still have more to learn =)
    Terry D - I LOVE that telescope! And your dogs! and that picture of the moon!
    Last edited by Angelicpersona; February 15th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Sitting at the computer and grumping can be an end in itself. I've been known to indulge.
    But the computer should be the tool, not the user. I use mine to do things. At the very least, I learn. This morning, I wrote a song, worked on a video that is all generated fractals, tweaked some areas of my website, learned a few things about asteroid tracking, and then grumped for a while on Facebook. Learning is a good hobby, but it gets me in trouble
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast