Hobbies - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Wow, I get a job and go away for a few weeks and this thread took on a life of its own =) I'm so pleased to see all of your hobbies! I sometimes think I'm such a boring person because all of my hobbies are so old fashioned, so I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in some of them.

John_O - even though I dislike snakes myself, I respect them and their rights to live, and I'm glad that you're providing that service to your community. There needs to be many more people. I'd likely take in all stray guinea pigs if I had the room!
    Kira1965 - That is so awesome! I love making greeting cards when I have the time and materials, though I'd bet mine are a lot more childish than yours if you've been making them for that long =)
    patskywriter - I'll bet those hold together a lot longer than wallets made with fabric. Actually, that reminds me that I need a new wallet... lol. Duct tape fixes everything!

My hobbies tend to turn into an aspect of video production in some way. Lately, I'm doing solid modeling (even though the software I use isn't technically a solid modeler) and I'm using it to story board a movie and make little in game/movie items. I'm currently modeling a brass and glass Galileo thermometer, since I think those things are so clever, functional and decorative and plan on POV ray tracing it once it's done. You can see some of my WIP on my blog. The floor plans are intended to be sets for my movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    My hobbies tend to turn into an aspect of video production in some way.
    That's so cool! I have some friends who are into movie making too, mostly just small short videos with volunteers. A few years ago one of their short films got entered into a movie contest and it caught the attention of CBC. They ended up making an hour long tv video and I did craft services and assistant costume designing =)

I did some finger-knitting yesterday. Mostly I was trying to get my 3-year-old step-daughter into doing it for a craft (it also helps with manual dexterity) but she wasn't paying attention. I gave her string and beads instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicpersona View Post
    That's so cool! I have some friends who are into movie making too, mostly just small short videos with volunteers. A few years ago one of their short films got entered into a movie contest and it caught the attention of CBC. They ended up making an hour long tv video and I did craft services and assistant costume designing =)
    Thanks, Angelica. Once I get the script finished (and the language), I'm going to attempt a crowd source funding for it on Kickstarter and/or IndieGoGo. I can't do this all by myself, so I'd need to pay someone to do finish work on sets, lighting, animation, etc. Then there is hiring voice actors...oy. At least it's taking long enough for me to get a feel for all that is involved.

amsawtell - I just had to go look up what that is, and that's awesome! I might have to try it. I'm always playing with my yarn and thread over my fingers like that anyways =)

Robert_S - yeah, there's definitely a lot more that goes into it than you think, and I'd imagine even more goes into a fully CG movie. And now I'm remembering this one scene where the actor had to throw himself down a hill over and over again to get the perfect roll, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicpersona View Post
    Robert_S - yeah, there's definitely a lot more that goes into it than you think, and I'd imagine even more goes into a fully CG movie. And now I'm remembering this one scene where the actor had to throw himself down a hill over and over again to get the perfect roll, lol
    Hehe, I remember seeing a behind the scenes of "Stargate SG-1" where the group was supposed to be kicked out a stargate and two of them tumble down the stairs. I wonder how many bruises they got from that. I also remember from LOTR "The Two Towers" where an orc on worgback gets hit and tumbles down a hill. Looked pretty good.

Still, I don't think I'm going to have too many ragdoll scenes. Just one I know of for sure.

Any, back to previous, between all this scripting, giving the story some life through detail and language construction, modeling sets and little things, it's giving me time to study up on websites, whatever free books I can find, etc.

Oh, how I envy people who can bake without destroying their kitchen.

My main hobby besides writing is currently music.

My childhood was one ongoing trainwreck of musical failure, but last year I picked up an instrument called the ocarina and everything about it made sense. I wish I'd received more instruction on the recorder in elementary school than to put my fingers over the holes and blow into it to play a song that nobody likes, but with 20+ kids to a music class it's a difficult environment. I managed to break my original ocarina, now lovingly displayed on my shelf, but I've already picked out a likely replacement.

I like to crochet, too. I also like cross-stitching and plain old embroidery. I used to sew a lot but have not done any in a while.
    I'm too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed.

I am what you would call a jack-of-all-crafts. I write (stories and poetry), I draw, paint, dabble in pottery, woodworking, stained glass, mosaic, jewelry-making, scrapbooking/papercrafting, recycle art, and I am constantly baking, decorating cakes, cooking, knitting, sewing/feltwork, and I have recently started dabbling in steampunk. (I also collect books, at last count I had almost 150 books in storage.)

My husband would think I'm horribly ill if I'm not doing something with my hands at least for a few hours every day. (His only complaint when I bake is that there isn't more right after he and hte kids eat it all.)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast