Hobbies - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by John_O View Post
    I rescue snakes, both venomous & non venomous. I don't charge for this (but do accept tips) So I guess you can call this a hobby. LOL

That's not a hobby, John; that's a public service, and deserves more support from your community.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Blog Entries
    John did you go to Florida and get involved in the python hunt? I read the largest one they found was only 11 feet long.

John, that is amazing. Snakes are so misunderstood. They are not villainous creatures and they certainly will not "go after" a person unless (like most animals) they feel threatened.

I agree with Cran. That is a community service you're providing and you certainly deserve far more recognition for it.

Lew, no I didn't. It would have been pretty cool though, as long as they didn't kill them. I would have no part of that!

Thanks amsawtell ! They sure are! People kill far, FAR, FAR! more snakes then the other way around. Rattlesnakes rattle for a reason! here I am leave me alone and all there warning does now is get them killed.

Lew, no I didn't. It would have been pretty cool though, as long as they didn't kill them. I would have no part of that!

Thanks amsawtell ! They sure are! People kill far, FAR, FAR! more snakes then the other way around. Rattlesnakes rattle for a reason! here I am leave me alone and all there warning does now is get them killed.
    Ya. I've been ridiculed for not killing rattlesnakes that ended up in my yard or on my front porch. What? Like I'm a bad dad or it would make a difference I explain, but whatever...I put them in a container and let them loose up in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    That's not a hobby, John; that's a public service, and deserves more support from your community.
    Thanks . You know Cran, this is the reason I ask about books written with help that you replyed to. A calibration you called it.
    http://www.writingforums.com/writing...-question.html

I have written a book about this and the rescues.... a while back even before I join this group... Finished it! But it just lacks punch! So I have just printed it out (also have it saved on the computer) but just filed it away.

Kevin, I believe you are setting a great example !! Concern, sure after all they can be dangerous, but showing compassion! not killing something out of blind fear.
    Good work!

Thanks . You know Cran, this is the reason I ask about books written with help that you replyed to. A calibration you called it.
    http://www.writingforums.com/writing...-question.html

I have written a book about this and the rescues.... a while back even before I join this group... Finished it! But it just lacks punch! So I have just printed it out (also have it saved on the computer) but just filed it away.
    Stick around here for a while and two outcomes are possible: either you will grow enough as a writer to give it the punch you're looking for; or you'll find willing collaborators to help you.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

that is a huge telescope (and a cute dog)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caution tape inside.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	4318

I have a little money-making venture where I sell duct tape wallets (this one is made with caution tape). I also enjoy photography and play jazz and Brazilian guitar. (Wowsers! This photo turned out a lot bigger than I expected!)
    Publisher of the Durham Skywriter (Hidden Content ), Durham NC's online community paper, and host of TV Skywriter, Sundays 7pm USA Eastern time, on YouTube and Google+'s "patriciaAmurray" page. Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast