Hobbies - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

I agree! I'm constantly looking up things and learning, even things for my book. I've spent hours and hours looking up information on monsters and sailing and fighting techniques for the weapons my characters use. I've still probably got things wrong, but hopefully the readers will either not know or overlook it...

The readers will tell you if you have it wrong. I've had the experience *rolls eyes* 90% of writing is research. I spend more time looking things up than anything else...that's my real job. The writing and music are just hobbies.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

How true! I may just steal that

I doubt it's original to me.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I have a thing about functional jewelry. I want it all to have a use as well as be beautiful. So lockets, watch fobs, magnifying glasses, mini hourglasses, glow sticks, USB drives, and mini bottles have all made their way into my jewelry. I like the idea of compasses because they can be so beautiful but have yet to find a small one I think is beautiful enough for jewelry.

All that said, I want to make myself a modern chatelaine.

Ahh, that's even more awesome then, amsawtell! Beautiful things that also serve a purpose? Heck ya!
    On a side note, I know what you mean when you say "modern chatelaine", but for fun I looked up what chatelaine actually means and I was giggling to myself thinking "she wants to be the mistress of a large manor because she likes interesting jewelry?". It's funny that we all seem to have words in our vocabulary that we use without really thinking of what they actually mean. I think writers are even worse for it.

You're probably right. In the Victorian era chatelaines were gifts to the new bride from her husband's family. They were usually of silver (if the family could afford it) and would hold whatever she thought she would need for running her household. They came with everything from tiny pairs of spectacles to little boxes to hold spices. They often had scissors and a little sewing needle holder. They're interesting items really--more so because so few remain. Women wore them with pride and they were often seen as items of status.

I rescue snakes, both venomous & non venomous. I don't charge for this (but do accept tips) So I guess you can call this a hobby. LOL

One of my favorite hobbies is hand crafting greeting cards. I do not think I have "bought" a card for years! My friends can't wait to see what my latest Christmas card designs are, and love the verses I write. For those, I usually design at least 50 and maybe write 5 to 10 verses to use inside.
    For birthdays and other assorted holidays, I try and make a verse that is personal- based on what the receiver likes, does for a living, etc.
    I was at a friends place a while back and she showed me a box on the shelf in her closet. It was filled with every card I have ever given her. That was pretty cool, to know I was being "collected"!
    For the guys, I try and write filthy verses and, even though I don't consider myself much of a comedienne, I have come up with some pretty funny stuff.

Also, I LOVE to cook, and moderan, I will definitely be checking out the Let's Eat thread and posting some of my favorite recipes.

John, I know a guy in my hometown here that also picks up snakes and other animals to rescue and release back where they belong. I live in rattlesnake country.

I'm also finding reading the threads on here is becoming a hobby...
    If you're going to make a difference in this world, then BE the difference in this world.

Awesome! I have the utmost respect for anybody who does anything to help animals!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast