Alliteration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliteration

Alliteration

I was writing about poetry, Anglo Saxon poetry used alliteration rather than rhyme and I wanted to show how powerful a device it is. Now my usual example for this has been “Clunk click every trip guys and gals!”, because everyone knows it (In England anyway) but I thought “‘Now then, now then’, not exactly PC any more is it?”

I went through my memory for other examples, and came up with things like “Simple Simon hates happy hour, he is a party pooper”. Well there are three nice examples there, but they are not quite as universal as the original, not in combination anyway. What can you come up with in the way of well known alliteration that would illustrate its effectiveness?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    I used alliteration in several lines of my new poem that I posted today called "Desert Rose."

Stan Lee actually uses alliteration in his comic books with his hero and villain names. Victor Von Doom (Doctor Doom), Matt Murdoch (Daredevil), Bruce Banner (Hulk), Otto Octavius (Doc Oc), and many others.
    Last edited by Lewdog; February 14th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Good example, Lewdog. I was thinking advertisements as something everyone knows. Two of them are alliterative in both incarnations, makes me wonder what Wonder Woman's alter-ego is called.

The world wide web would not be the same if it were called the global mesh would it?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Good example, Lewdog. I was thinking advertisements as something everyone knows. Two of them are alliterative in both incarnations, makes me wonder what Wonder Woman's alter-ego is called.

The world wide web would not be the same if it were called the global mesh would it?
    How about Gore's Global Gadget? Al Gore invented the internet right? lol

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked; If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked; If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
    That's a tongue twister not alliteration.

Sally sells seashells by the sea shore.

Brunhilda Baughurst, a bashful bucket babe from Blumenort, (Manitoba) dared to dream of the day when she could toss her cookies, her clothesline, not to mention her crabby kids and become a voluptuous vixen of the vacuum or venturesome vamp of the veranda. Failing that, she thought she might consider becoming a veritable vagabond of vapid verbs, vainglorious vowels and vague vaniloquence. At the very least, she realized she could settle for kissing a fool, a frog, or even a flying-carpet salesman just for the heck of it.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

You'll never put a better bit of butter on your knife.

Tetleys make teabags make tea.

I was reminded of this thread when I came across a quote from Sir Gawain and the Green knight from the fourteenth century.

Lo! The shimmering of the shafts as they were shot from bows!
    An arrow flew forth at every forest turning,
    The broad head biting on the brown flank.
    They screamed as the blood streamed out, sank dead on the sward,
    Always harried by hounds hard on their heels,
    And the hurrying hunters' high horn notes.

Apparently the whole epic poem is alliterative.
    Hidden Content

When I think of alliteration, I think of Poe. From memory (and The Raven) "...and the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain..." Yes it rhymes, too, this is the example in English class though when I first *understood* what alliteration is.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast