Writing poetry - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing poetry

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Yes, but one other problem the internet has created is miscommunication because of the lack of being able to differentiate tone in what someone is saying. How can you tell if someone is being serious, mean, sarcastic, or helpful, without the normal factors of voice inflection or non-verbal communication?
    The best guess as to what others mean is fond in the words they use.

*that also goes for poetry.
    “The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish.” —Robert Louis Stevenson.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    The best guess as to what others mean is fond in the words they use.

*that also goes for poetry.

Not always. That's why certain non-verbal cues are so important in real life communication.

I truly enojoyed what you posted here. To weigh in, this has bothered me so long. I personally think a poem should rhyme. All the great poets of the past wrote poetry that rhymes, unless it was an expression of emotion sort of like a call to arms or an ode like what you featured here at the end of your post.
    I think that poetry is dead because of money. There are billions of poetry contests now all of which require a fee so in order to have submissions somehow poetry went a wall and became mainstreamly accepted in botched form. You no longer have to be a poet. You just need to own a good theasurus, write a very long sentence that creates some type of an image in a person's mind, replace a few simple words with complex ones you pull out of your theasaurus and break the sentence up putting two or three words on each line. It's even okay to start a line with AND! Nothing matters as long as you pay the fee and someone can say you put an image in their minds so that's why they chose you as a winner. It makes me sick to my stomach to be honest. What poetry was in the past is no more. Instead of striving for what Shakespeare and Donne and Frost accomplished mediocre wordplay rules. Poetry is bleeding. (Sorry about mispellings, English is my 6th language)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    I truly enojoyed what you posted here. To weigh in, this has bothered me so long. I personally think a poem should rhyme. All the great poets of the past wrote poetry that rhymes, unless it was an expression of emotion sort of like a call to arms or an ode like what you featured here at the end of your post.
    I think that poetry is dead because of money. There are billions of poetry contests now all of which require a fee so in order to have submissions somehow poetry went a wall and became mainstreamly accepted in botched form. You no longer have to be a poet. You just need to own a good theasurus, write a very long sentence that creates some type of an image in a person's mind, replace a few simple words with complex ones you pull out of your theasaurus and break the sentence up putting two or three words on each line. It's even okay to start a line with AND! Nothing matters as long as you pay the fee and someone can say you put an image in their minds so that's why they chose you as a winner. It makes me sick to my stomach to be honest. What poetry was in the past is no more. Instead of striving for what Shakespeare and Donne and Frost accomplished mediocre wordplay rules. Poetry is bleeding. (Sorry about mispellings, English is my 6th language)
    Completely disagree. Language has evolved and so has poetry. Just because something isn't in form (and by the way, free verse IS a form) doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. It's more than just throwing things together. You have to have more than just pretty words and an image to write a good poem. There's skill in free verse poetry just as there is in any other form. In fact, I think it was T.S. Eliot that said something along the lines of "No verse is truly free for the man that wants to do a good job." To say that it isn't poetry or that you don't have to be a poet to write a good poem these days is ridiculous. There's a lot of crappy verse out there, but there are also GREAT free verse writers, and I'd encourage you do seek them out. I don't think money is to blame for poetry being "dead." I think it's the fact that people just don't care anymore, and because people just aren't educated about poetry the way they used to be.

I like Olly's post because it stresses the value of education. It doesn't matter if you write in a set meter, meter is still an important aspect of what you write. Being aware of meter and how it impacts the sound of your piece is important. Being aware of poetic devices is important. Learning these things and practicing them will help you evolve your work. That is not to say that all you need to write a good poem is to learn the mechanics of poetry. Some people just suck at it. They'll get better with study, but they won't necessarily be good. But people that have a natural ability will benefit from education.

Blog Entries
    The thing I find so funny and unique about poetry, from a literature perspective, is it is the closest type of writing to visual art. It's always up for interpretation, and no matter how well it is written, or what the subject matter is, some people are just not going to like it. I wrote today what I think is one of my better poems, and it is something that I truly like, yet I have not gotten a single reply to its posting. Yet when I posted a whimsical piece that was a play of words on a breathing exercise that could be construed as something sexual, it got all kinds of responses. Poetry is just odd like that.

bottom line is that ANYONE can be a poet now. Talent not required. That is very sad. Hence I chose to read only work by those who care enough to learn about the traiditional poets and follow their craft. Yes we all evolve, but in many ways evolutions has failed what is naturally beautiful - and in poetry, beauty should never be missing. I must disagree with you, but of course I understand you feel the way you do. PS: I am by far not great at it, but it's just how I feel about modern poetry. Don't hold it against me, it's an opinion, that's all.

Not true. Not anyone can be poet. Anyone can write "poems." Not anyone can produce strong poetry. Huge difference. Are you really going to argue that the great free verse writers actually suck and that their work isn't beautiful in some way? Another reason why education is important.
    I've learned about traditional poets and I've studied their work. I respect the greatness in what they did. I still write free verse.
    Last edited by Angel101; February 14th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Calm yourself Calamity,
    the orthodox can never see
    the beauty you have brought to be
    speaking in modernity.

We are open to differing opinions here, even if it's not what we like to hear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Calm yourself Calamity,
    the orthodox can never see
    the beauty you have brought to be
    speaking in modernity.

We are open to differing opinions here, even if it's not what we like to hear.

Lalalalalala I can't hear you, lalalalalalala.

All the great poets of the past wrote poetry that rhymes, unless it was an expression of emotion sort of like a call to arms or an ode like what you featured here at the end of your post.
    How great is great, how past is past? I detect a circular argument that won't hold up. A great many of them wrote in blank verse, Milton in 'Paradise lost' or Wordsworth in 'There was a boy'.
    I think that poetry is dead because of money. There are billions of poetry contests now all of which require a fee so in order to have submissions somehow poetry went a wall and became mainstreamly accepted in botched form. You no longer have to be a poet. You just need to own a good theasurus, write a very long sentence that creates some type of an image in a person's mind, replace a few simple words with complex ones you pull out of your theasaurus and break the sentence up putting two or three words on each line.
    This bears no relation to any reality that I am aware of, is that the American 'billions or the English?
    Most people here write for their own pleasure, I feel that pleasure could be heightened and their writing improved by greater understanding in most cases.
    I think it's the fact that people just don't care anymore, and because people just aren't educated about poetry the way they used to be.
    I must disagree with you here Angel101, I think people are better educated than they have ever been, and they care passionately. In the past the vast majority were illiterate, their voice is only heard occasionally when the literate recorded it for some reason. Probably as many people are educated in prosody as ever were, but many more are literate and educated in other disciplines that previously did not exist. These people can read poetry even if they do not have formal understanding, they are human, they share the places poetry touches, and many of them try to express themselves similarly, for me this is something to be encouraged, a foundation they should be offered tools to build on.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast