Writing poetry - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing poetry

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    And yet, it is amazing how people still don't "get" limericks, perhaps one of the simplest forms
    It's all that counting. I try to use my fingers, but then I lose count.

after a while it will be come second nature and they/we won't realise that we are actually going through an analytical process at all.
    I always think of footballers learning ball skills when I think of this, they spend hours practising dribbling round traffic cones, playing keepeeupee or shooting at goal corners, but when it comes down to the real thing in the game it has all been internalised and they do it so naturally it is hard to relate the learning process to the action.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

It's all that counting. I try to use my fingers, but then I lose count.
    I'd say take your shoes and socks off but three anapaests is still only nine syllables.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

'Poetic contact'- there is something to be said about how we absorb some things without effort. 'Osmosis'?

The Salvation army song,
    When you've been out walking and got two sore feet
    Shun surgical spirit though it cures them a treat
    It will seep through the pores of your skin by osmosis
    And you end up by having ten drunk little toesies.

Seriously though, you still have to make some effort to gain the knowledge, when it is internalised then the application comes naturally. I find a good way of internalising information I have recently read is to write an article about it trying to put it in simpler, more understandable, terms.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    'Poetic contact'- there is something to be said about how we absorb some things without effort. 'Osmosis'?
    I just was sort of clarifying the concept, out loud. It's not a term I'm familiar with.

'Practice', everyone knows that one, doing it on the other hand, and with specific intent or discipline..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I just was sort of clarifying the concept, out loud. It's not a term I'm familiar with.

'Practice', everyone knows that one, doing it on the other hand, and with specific intent or discipline..
    Practicing how to practice, that sounds like a unique practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Practicing how to practice, that sounds like a unique practice.
    Focus on a form or action, without deviation or distraction.

cumulative-

Olly wrote: “It is as though the people writing about it want you to think how smart they are rather than wanting to show you something and help you understand.”

This has always been a problem; though now with the internet, it's completely off the rails.
    “The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish.” —Robert Louis Stevenson.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    Olly wrote: “It is as though the people writing about it want you to think how smart they are rather than wanting to show you something and help you understand.”

This has always been a problem; though now with the internet, it's completely off the rails.

Yes, but one other problem the internet has created is miscommunication because of the lack of being able to differentiate tone in what someone is saying. How can you tell if someone is being serious, mean, sarcastic, or helpful, without the normal factors of voice inflection or non-verbal communication?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast