what are your favorite novels??? - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what are your favorite novels???

Vonnuget called it the armpit of America, I just call it home
    The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
    Slaughter House Five Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
    Night by Ellie Weisell
    Last edited by playerpiano; November 27th, 2015 at 12:06 PM.

Planet of the Damned, by Harry Harrison, and Starship Troopers, by Robert A Heinlein. The former is the most entertaining book I've ever read, and the latter truly changed my outlook on civil service, and what it means to be a responsible adult in modern society. I actually attribute nearly all of my corporate success to the personal responsibility and work ethic I gained because of taking a hard look at myself after reading about Rico's transformation from bumbling teen to hardened leader.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, His Dark Materials Trilogy, Perfume, Trainspotting, Silence of the Lambs... I won't mention my other, non-fiction favorite books!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

"How does it come about that certain souls can never find peace, either on the heights, on the surface of the earth, or in the depths of the ocean?" ~ Halldór Laxness

No single favorites, but finding more than enough to contemplate in the reality of life, one book I enjoyed is "Where Does the Wild Goose Go?" by Willem Lange. It's a collection of fifteen humanistic short stories ranging in topics, among them an insightful hunting piece entitled "The Three Bears" and a seriously humorous piece entitled "A Damyankee in Texas."

"Life is rather like opening a tin of sardines: We're all of us looking for the key." ~ Beyond the Fringe

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Another exceptional writer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AudubonBoxAd.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	11714

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

I feel I should drop this admission like a public fart, moving swiftly away from it. However, much like a fart, I suspect it will follow me around in the trousers, so to speak. But I can't run afterwards without first offering an explanation.

It's Ulysses by James Joyce.

When I was a child struggling to understand my grandmother's copy of Ulysses, I hated James Joyce and Ulysses. But no novel (and no author for that matter) has managed to so consistently intrigue me over the years. There are many novels I have enjoyed more at one particular time or another, but, with the possible exception of Tolkien's LOTR, I don't return to any of them. Once I've read a novel, that's it; it has now reached its nadir. Ulysses is the only one I return to, and the more I do, the more I think it's brilliant. This is true even though I have a lot of ambivalence about stream of consciousness and constant self-conscious literary referencing.

I am aware it's difficult for first-time readers, and I think it's a novel that requires a lot of prior reading on behalf of the reader. Being a fan of Homer, Shakespeare, and having an extensive knowledge of the Bible, is a must for a true appreciation of each of Joyce's 18 episodes in Ulysses. It isn't a chaotic book or a practical joke as some have suggested; it is an incredible portmanteau of different literary styles with a simply enormous vocabulary that is flexed to lyrical effect at every possible opportunity. To say it's experimental is an understatement; I think it's probably furlongs ahead of contemporary literature, and it's that conviction which has influenced my own stylistic undertakings more than any other novel. I think my love (not ignoring my frustration at times) for Ulysses might just be because I didn't have to study it at University.

I don't think it's a book for most undergraduates or for those opsimaths who are not equipped with the necessary literary culture. It's one thing to read a scholar's notes on Ulysses (something I rarely do) and another entirely to see, and therefore appreciate, the parallels to the Bible, Homer and Shakespeare (and the many others) for oneself.

It's ironic that a book I hated as a child and returned to later in life has had such a positive influence on me. So read it, hate it, and return to it. It's worth it.

The Black Angel by John Connolly - The Unquiet by John Connolly - everything by John Connolly but, him alone, as i didn't get on with something he had co-written a little while back.

Also Classic Nora Roberts and Susan Lewis.

Have a massive love for Kane And Abel by Jeffrey Archer.

And if I popped up to my bookcase i'd find a load i'd forgotten.

Oh I can't choose... But if I was to just name the ones that I have re-read the most...

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien

The Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett

The Tamuli by David Eddings

The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings

Dirk Gently series by Douglas Adams

Just to name a few

Clan of the Cave Bear. I say it's about the first feminist!

My 13 year old Granddaughter loved it, I thought it would be too difficult. Bought her series for Hedonismas.

I read mostly non-fiction nwadays, but
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts, by Louis de Bernier.
    It is the first of a trilogy, but the other two almost seem redundant. Everything is in there, pathos, love, hate, cunning, all those things that make up humans, plus it is extremely funny in places. I have tried others of his, but none have touched this so far.

Robert Seethaler's 'A Whole Life' comes a close second, it is just so beautifully written.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast