what are your favorite novels??? - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what are your favorite novels???

The Stand - Stephen King
    The Beach - Alex Garland
    Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    Watchers - Dean Koontz
    Bane - Joe Donnelly
    Talulla Rising - Glen Duncan. Just finished this and it's one of the best books I've read in a long time.
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Paranoia: Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Shot.
    The Coming Of The Quantum Cats.
    The Forever War (Forever Free kinda sucked)
    Ender's Game.

I am a big reader, I should say we are big readers here. My teenage son is a huge reader also. He is homeschooled and we chose to use a literature based curriculum because of our love of books.

A few favorite books of mine; Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, ...

I also enjoy these authors; Cleo Coyle, Diane Mott Davidson, Ellery Adams, Joanne Fluke, James Patterson, Tami Hoag, Lisa Gardner, Lorna Barrett (including hers under other pen names), Susan Wiggs, Karen Rose, Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, ...

My favorite books have, of course, changed over time.

I've loved Tolkien since I discovered him in fourth grade, and The Three Musketeers gave me great pride when the librarian in fifth grade said that it was the only book she had that was too hard for me to read (it was an elementary school library), and I not only read it but gave her a competent summary.

Consistent favorites are The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien, An Unquiet Mind, by Kay Jamison, One Day in the life of Ivan Denosovich, Fahrenheit 451, almost anything by Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson, and Samson Agonistes, by Milton. I'm not overly fond of Pamela, but find the anti Pamela (one example is Shamela) movement quite amusing.

And I know this goes against popular literary thought, but I don't enjoy Jane Austen (I much prefer the Bronte sisters) and I have undying hatred for Charles Dickens. I can appreciate their strengths, and have read many of their works, but I really can't stand them.

Pigletinportugal

I would recommend "One Day" by David Nicholls. I never usually read anything to do with romance, however, I have never enjoyed a book quite like this one. It's really great
    Last edited by Apple Ice; May 11th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Hi Apple Ice, I've checked it out on Amazon and added to my wish list. Thank you!

No problem, if you do decide to get it then I'm sure you won't be disappointed. There's a film out too but as with most novel-to-films it's apparently not very good

That's true. I can't understand why some films depart so far from the book

I know, the casting tends to be bad as well. Everyone has their own version of a novel and a film is just making you watch someone else's version

"Lord of the rings" - Tolkien
    "Jane Eyre" - Charlotte Bronte
    "Pride and prejudice" - Jane Austin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast