Crits - Page 9

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Crits

As a recently-freed newbie, I can completely attest to this. Now that I've gone through the Trial of the Ten Posts, I demand an agent and a publisher, and someone to tell me how wonderful my work is, and immunity from all negative criticism.

I... I don't like the way you're looking at me.

Please don't hurt me.

No, please! Not in the face! It's my best fea-

When I critique, I generally try to ignore things like grammar and sentence structure, because I know that there are people out there who are waaay more qualified than I am to handle it, and who will handle it.

Truth time: I don't actually know a lot about how grammar actually works. I picked up things like how sentences are supposed to be structured and what type of punctuation goes where, but for the life of me, I could not actually sit down and tell you how to do it. I do, however, know about flow. A lot of my writing is done in a casual manner, sacrificing certain rules in order to maintain the flow of the story. I'm not always successful, but I've been told that my writing is easy to read, and that's what I find important.

So... that's what I attempt to help people with, when and where I can.
    Last edited by AtleanWordsmith; July 9th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
    If you're not sure how to take something I say, keep in mind that Bob Ross is my spirit animal. Hidden Content .

“The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.”
    Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Ah...it appears no one gave you the full run down:

1. Ability to post your work for crit = 10 posts
    2. #1 plus access to an agent who will harshly reject you = 10 posts + 10 in depth crits of 5K or longer works by fellow members
    3. #2 but with a really sweet rejection = 10 posts + 10 in depth crits + 10 contest judging gigs
    4. #3 plus access to an actual publisher who will harshly reject you = 10 posts + 10 crits + 10 contest judging gigs + 10 tweets that WF is best writing forum in the world
    5. #4 but with a sweet rejection = 10 posts + 10 crits + 10 contests + 10 tweets + 10 Facebook shoutouts that WF is best writing forum in the world
    6. All of above BUT with acceptances by the agent & publisher = keep writing until your work ROCKS + your first born child (don't worry, you'll be too busy writing to take care of her/him anyway)
    7. Someone to tell you how wonderful your work is, and immunity from all negative criticism = it will never happen

Quote Originally Posted by AtleanWordsmith View Post
    As a recently-freed newbie, I can completely attest to this. Now that I've gone through the Trial of the Ten Posts, I demand an agent and a publisher, and someone to tell me how wonderful my work is, and immunity from all negative criticism.

I... I don't like the way you're looking at me.

Please don't hurt me.

No, please! Not in the face! It's my best fea-

LOL. Are there medals for pissing people off? After this, I feel like I should get one. Holy moly. I have two toddlers, and yet this is the silliest thing I've dealt with all morning.

Just let it roooll off your shoulders, Angel. Not everyone handles criticism well, and if they're going to dismiss your attempts to help because they didn't like what you had to say... well, they won't be receiving any help from you in the future.

They might find that they're turning off other would-be critics and mentors, as well. Nobody wants to waste their time and effort trying to help someone who won't be helped.

Bump 'em and roll on.
    If you're not sure how to take something I say, keep in mind that Bob Ross is my spirit animal. Hidden Content .

“The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.”
    Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Interesting thread. I'll admit to being surprised at how direct some of the criticisms were when I first joined, but by the time I got around to actually posting anything I was used to them. Important thing to remember is that they're the same for everyone, though someone newly joined might not realise that.

HC

Some people have a tough time separating themselves from their "word-children" and so they feel any fault you find in the word-children is criticism of them.

Bah.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Angel101 View Post
    What I really don't understand, though, is why other members need to jump in and comment on my criticism. That's not helpful to the writer. Write your own critique. In fact, on other forums there are rules against commenting on critiques unless you're the author of the work that applies. It's good rule and helps avoid arguments and people ganging up on each other. It also avoids people commenting like, "Yeah, what he said."
    I'm sorry, but it is not a good rule; it's a cop-out to protect critical elites without regard to the validity of the criticism. The rule here is that critics are not immune to challenge or question; that, more than the writer should be expected to defend the writing, the critic should be prepared to defend the critique.

This way, we avoid subjective taste being presented as objective assessment or empirical judgment.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

I understand what you are saying. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I prefer to critique without being trampled by people who are more concerned about feelings than writing. If I were having a civil discussion with someone about my critique, that would be totally different. That is not what happened, which the only reason I brought that up. Also, as a writer, I find it more helpful to get totally different perspectives from different people without reading their arguments with each other, arguments which always seem to veer away from the original topic. Sorry, I'm not suggesting change. I was just sharing my frustration from this particular experience.
    Last edited by Angel101; July 10th, 2015 at 12:41 AM.

Well, being trampled or veering off-topic becomes a moderation issue, and anyone is entitled (indeed, encouraged) to report such posts if a moderator has not stepped in.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Personally, I think the critic sometimes needs to have the same skin-thickness he expects from those critiqued.

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
    Here will we sit, and let the sounds of music
    Creep into our ears: soft stillness and the night
    Become the touches of sweet harmony.

- Shakespeare,
    Merchant...Act 5