Book Covers - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Book Covers

Never looked into it. Don't have any reason to.
    Self-publishing isn't costly, is my contention. There's no reason why it has to be. My beta readers have a perfectly professional product in their hands and my overhead was less than a hundred bucks.
    Self publishing isn't about doing it cheap. It's not a kind of DIY publishing where you can quickly develop the skills to do it on your own and save money. Self publishing is costly. If you want a professional product that is indistinguishable from it's competition (and that is what you should be after), you're gonna need to spend the money . . . covers, design (external and internal), editing (line, copyedits, and proofs), are all things that can't be understated.
    You probably shouldn't consider self-publishing if you don't have those skills. Plus marketing and promotion savvy. And writing skills comparable to those of the professionals.
    So many people that self-pub don't. It's painfully obvious.
    Self-publishing is about control of the product, to me. Every nut and bolt attended to, by the originator. The ability to introduce new packaging, new marketing, implement new ideas, without a committee. That includes keeping the costs down. I know several people that write and self-publish for a living. None of them outsource their editing.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

The artist (Christine Griffin) who did my covers works might be in your price range. She creates cover art for publishers and for self-published authors.

Here's a link to my blog where I interviewed her. It also has links so you can check out more of her work and find contact information if she appears to create the type of art you're looking for.

Up Around the Corner: Interview with Artist Christine Griffin

You can also follow the link in the signature below to see the covers she's done for my First Civilization's Legacy Series. From personal experience I can say she's excellent to work with.

Thanks, Ervin. I'll keep her in mind.

I don't know about costs or whatever, but I would really try not to do a 'bad cover'. I've seen art that I didn't like at all. It looked amateurish. I passed on the book. Even some of the famous names sometimes are 'encased' in bad art. I assume the covers were selected by 'pros' but man, they were awful. Some just don't have an eye for it. It's not something that everyone can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I don't know about costs or whatever, but I would really try not to do a 'bad cover'. I've seen art that I didn't like at all. It looked amateurish. I passed on the book. Even some of the famous names sometimes are 'encased' in bad art. I assume the covers were selected by 'pros' but man, they were awful. Some just don't have an eye for it. It's not something that everyone can do.
    This is the thing with covers. It's not just art - it's advertising. Not all artists understand that marketing aspect of covers (nor do all authors).
    Has left the building.

Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I did my own artwork.

and sculpted my own character...

And the new book is the same.

MJ Preston is an Author and Artist at Large who hails from Canada.
    He is the author of the horror novel: Hidden Content and the Sci-fi thriller Hidden Content
    To learn more: visit: Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

For my second, I'll do the art. I hired out for my first. Them are some big pics, man.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    For my second, I'll do the art. I hired out for my first. Them are some big pics, man.
    They have to be big to meet printing specs. Low resolution, anything less than 300 DPI does`not work for printing quality. Keep that in mind.
    MJ Preston is an Author and Artist at Large who hails from Canada.
    He is the author of the horror novel: Hidden Content and the Sci-fi thriller Hidden Content
    To learn more: visit: Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I understand perfectly...but I had to resize my browser window in order to fit them in here. They're great covers. I have your first book. Good book. Just saying that the pics could be resized for use here on the forum
    Just sharing the link cuz there's a thread in the discussion room about book covers. They could probably use your input.
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast