A Website? Really? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Website? Really?

Thanks all for the great advice!
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Home | The Official Author James Rollins Website is a pretty nice looking site with a bookshelf.
    Hidden Content (We make eBooks!)

Western states, Sedona AZ, Ashland OR, Lone Pine CA
    I started my novels website two weeks ago. It is going to take two years before it is complete. I'm not a web designer and have little experience but I bought the best web design program and a Dummies Guide to help me learn how to use it. My track is to make the website a supplement to the book rather than a shrine to myself or a sales device. I hope that the website will help with sales but the main goal is to serve the readers. There will be a map page, a glossary, cutting-floor excerpts, a contest page, and reader submitted arts. You can see the site in its infancy here Azmerith Chronicles
    "Close the doors, you uninitiated" Orpheus
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Thank you all for the great advice! I went and checked out Hugh C. Howey . Very interesting and more my style, relaxed and chill. Simple and clean.

Crap... a bio? I find it difficult to write about myself for some bizarre reason (considering all writing is about the writer usually).
    I would not worry too much over a bio - who wants to read about an author blowing his/her own trumpet? not me!
    Just be polite and welcome people to your site on the home page and then concentrate on making the site as interesting and as professional as you possibly can.
    Check out the blogs and websites of others and see what catches your eye on their sites.
    Yola as a free package that is simple use - and you can play around with stuff and only publish to the site when you are happy with it.
    Have a go and good luck!

Trilby

From practical experience of opening and operating over a dozen personal websites over the years I've discovered a few tricks to building your own. You don't need the best in the west or the latests and greatest, or even the most expensive host in town. Often, the hosts who have the lowest prices are as good as, or even better than, sites that cost thousands of dollars.

1. Perform a search for "cheap websites". You'll have more hosts than you can shake a stick at. For less than $10.00 per month you can obtain a site and a domain.
    2. Almost all linux based hosts provide a back end (where you perform administrative tasks such as setting up email accounts, installing programs, etc.) and it is EASY.
    3. Almost all linux based hosting service provide a basic one or two page site building program that is included in the monthly fee. Again, EASY to do. Click on the install button and you're up and running
    4. I've yet to find one that doesn't have training included. Learn at your own pace by going through the tutorials. You don't have to know HTML or any other coding to set up your own website.

Things to remember:
    Putting your site up there won't guarantee you traffic.
    Adds on other sites won't guarantee you traffic.
    Frequent and regular update of useful content willget you traffic.

The drawback to setting up and maintaining your own site is that it takes time away from writing.

The most important thing to decide before taking the plunge, is what you want to accomplish with your site. Period. If you don't know that you won't accomplish it.

Hope this helps.

<note to self: generate a piece with more specific information for those who never before done it>

A couple points - look at developing your own site with weebly! so easy and affordable. I use it and its easy for anyone to use with drag and drop design function. I had no website background and published three sites with weebly.
    A low maintenance option for now is to have a landing page with a link to a site where your book will be sold.
    Adding a blog does help to boost your SEO (site engine optimisation) rank as does SOE writing for your site (google it).
    Don't freak out with your first site - baby steps. Start small bio and contact information with samples of your writing - don't add a selling option on your site until you can do this and manage the selling part yourself - you can always link to a ecommerce site who sells for you - like amazon.
    Good luck.

I think a website with a blog is much more interesting that one without.

Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    The closer I get to completing my novel, the more concerned I become about advertising and promotion.

One of the big things I'm now thinking about is a website. A website for me the writer. I have no idea what kind of website I'll need! Should it be like a blog? Like a forum? A website to purchase things from?

Can anyone shed some light on this quandry of mine?
    Have you gone a pimped yourself on Facebook? You can create a page for your book(s) as well as yourself and try to get some exposure that way.

You might want to register a domain name, if you haven't done so. Many authors use their name. You can even use that if using Wordpress, for example as the basis for creating your website.

I use my website for more static information, and my blog for updates and discussions, and just what I want to write about.

In my experience, readers tend to expect an author to have a website/web presence, but they don't think much of just/only a Facebook page, for example. With this, observations other than mine may vary.

I gave up on my blog and am turning it into a showcase for my music. No responsive readership. People read the stuff, then went right to the story pages and stayed there. I took down the stories because of the book and they've been appearing as pirate versions since then. I get the point.
    I've had webpresence since 1996. I've averaged 300 unique visitors/month during that period.
    Conversely, I've been advertising my book (two months away!) on FB only, to limited response, for a year now. The book page has 30 "likes"-but I have gotten hundreds of messages from people who want to know more, based on the teaser text (Parts of stories, ruminations about the ToC, suchlike silliness), and have generated the bulk of my presales live and in person, just talking to whoever I encounter (Cab drivers, medical personnel, people I meet on the bus, etc.)
    The website used to be the central thing. Without content, it's a sales tool, the thing that my business cards refer to (I always have a hundred or so cards on me).
    Facebook as a marketing tool fails, in my opinion...what it's good at is cutting down on the degrees of separation between artist and consumer. You can pimp your stuff direct.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12