A Special Award to Honour our Captain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Special Award to Honour our Captain

A Special Award to Honour our Captain

When I first joined WF it was an on-line metropolis bustling with experienced and aspiring authors. I fondly remember one of them sending me a PM to inquire if I might critique a piece of work he had set in Ireland. We struck up a friendship thereafter and exchanged several more messages about the history of my country and his. His user-name was Baron, and most of you today know him as the Captain or the man who saved WF from the brink of obscurity. I knew him first and foremost as Rob, and so it is a great privilege for me to announce the unveiling of a special award in his honour.

There is simply not enough space or time to document everything Baron has done for the site, but hopefully I'll be able to fill in some of the blanks. Many of you know that until his purchase WF occupied page 10 of the Google rankings. Nobody wanted to buy the site because of the uphill battle required to restore it to any kind of normality. Nobody, that is, except Baron, whose vision for WF remains as good now as it was then. It's also worth mentioning that what should have been a simple act of purchasing the site was drawn out by a long and convoluted search for the owner, who proceeded to demand a ridiculous price when he was eventually located. Baron negotiated all those trials because he wanted to restore a site that he knew meant the world to many of its members.

His first problem was the aforementioned Google rankings. In addition, an embargo had been placed on WF because of bad ratings. A rapid solution had to be found or his purchase would have been for nothing. We were stuck almost in Limbo, losing members daily because of slow loading times, and gaining no new ones in return. Baron had a solution, but it was one that inexorably invited contention. He needed to lift the ban imposed by schools and hospitals, and introduce stricter rules to ensure it never returned. He knew it could cost him some of the stalwart members, but it was a sacrifice he was willing to make -- a sacrifice for the good of the site. Those sorts of decisions typify the man. He has always acted with the best intentions of WF in mind. Within hours of Baron taking over we moved three pages up the Google rankings. Ten days later, we were on the first, where we have remained to this day.

Of course, members were never aware of this. Along with Gumby, I've had the privilege of working behind the scenes with Baron since day one, and I've learned almost everything I know about staffing from him. His ability to micro-manage every aspect of the site is nothing short of phenomenal. He will readily tell anyone who asks that he has built the best staff team any owner could ever hope to, but it would never have turned out that way if not for his willingness to guide and instruct behind the scenes. He is always open to seeking a second opinion; always mindful that to err is human and to forgive is divine; always willing to give others a second chance in situations where they might not deserve one.

He saved WF from the seventh circle of hell, as Tiamat so eloquently puts it. He has spent a lot of money improving the site, updating the software, and adding new features. The chat-room, and subsequent guest chats, have been wonderful features in the past year. We've had privileges no aspiring authors on any other writing site have had. He devised Catfish Soup to establish camaraderie and kinship between members, and his decision to create the user-group 'WF Veterans' was a means of thanking esteemed members for their service to the site -- yet another mark of his great leadership.

'Baron', 'The Captain', or just 'Rob' -- by whatever title you address him, one thing is for sure. Nobody is more deserving of praise than he. So, without further delay, it is my honour to bestow upon Baron the unique award of Commodore Emeritus for his unseen but nevertheless astonishing work to make WF what it is today and his tireless work to make it even better.

On behalf of every WF member, I say: "Thank you, Rob."

I now open the floor to anyone who wishes to congratulate him or add their own words of praise.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Baron
    Thanks, Sam. I'm touched.

Where did you put the gold watch?

I don't frequent many discussion fora, but WF is, in my opinion, an exemplar of what the medium should be. I'm proud to be a member, and thank the Commodore Emeritus for his efforts to make it what it is today. Congratulations, Rob.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Baron
    Where did you put the gold watch?
    You don't think you're getting off that easy, do you?
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Blog Entries
    Well done, Rob. Thank you.
    Hidden Content in the Daily Dose of Dialogue

The good and bad of publishing: Hidden Content

I missed all the fun and games of the bad old days but in the short time that I've been here I've always found a welcome sign over the doorway, so to speak, which I realise is in no small way down to the work Rob put in. So well deserved congratulations Baron.

Commodore Emeritus sounds real posh, if only I knew what it meant!

Thank you Rob. I've come late to this party, but I'm glad I did.

Lorraine

I have to say that of all the various places I slip in and around, WF is without doubt my favorite, mainly because it's the one where I feel the most comfortable. It's not the largest, but size really isn't everything. It has just the right amount of moderator influence to allow lively and 'real' discussions without it becoming a free-for-all. It has people who know what they're talking about willingly helping people who haven't a clue what to do first.

Well done.
    Has left the building.

Well done, Commodore, well done. As to the gold watch, um, errr, it's being sent off for engraving...
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Cap'n, for being tirelessly determined and endlessly patient. You've done a wonderful service to what was once a small, humble forum.
    If a lion could speak, we could not understand him - ​Ludwig Wittgenstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast