What sort of articles would you like to see?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What sort of articles would you like to see?

What sort of articles would you like to see?

Hi everyone,

I've been on vacation for the last bit, but I'm (almost) back and really looking forward to post and interact with you all in this thread. I have ideas on what I want to write about, but I'm curious about a couple things:

• What do you really want to read about here?
    • What are you looking to write about here?

My historical areas of focus are:

• data visualization
    • procedures and processes (written and visual mapping)
    • On-boarding materials
    • support documentation, paper and Web
    • content writing for the Web, including SEO
    • PR/Marketing writing, print and web

My first post is likely going to talk about writing copy for Marketing. Looking forward to seeing posts from others with either questions or sharing their insights on their own work.

Cheers,
    Cap
    "Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone."
    - Anthony Burgess (1917-1994)

Content writing/SEO would be interesting to me. As would marketing writing for the web...as I'm going to be embarking on an ad campaign in the reasonably near future I'd certainly like to see what others do and how they think about such ventures.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

After that a discussion on visual mapping - it's one of my things - I think - if we are talking about the same thing.

Welcome back!

Capulet had a thought after I posted.

If a writer send a proposal into a published then can that proposal - factual description of self, description of work etc - be classified as writing copy?

If so then maybe that could be the topic of a post.

Blog Entries
    Any writing that sounds like I'm at work, doesn't sound like anything I want to read. The question you posed might as well have been, how would you like to die? Regardless of what you write, as long as it pertains to business writing, it will put me to sleep. Can you make sure to post them at about 1 am est.?

Ok I'm just kidding. Feel free to write PR and marketing stuff, I might need some of that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinlee View Post
    Capulet had a thought after I posted.

If a writer send a proposal into a published then can that proposal - factual description of self, description of work etc - be classified as writing copy?

If so then maybe that could be the topic of a post.
    Copy being used in journalism or marketing generally means writing being used in articles, stories, etc. Not sure how a proposal would fit into that scheme. When I think of proposals my tech writer hat goes on and I start thinking about form and structure, business needs (what the publisher wants to see) and the like.

My experience with "copy" has been writing support articles, product descriptions, and marketing and sales materials like banners, product descriptions, promotional pages, customer offer/support emails, etc. I'm sure journalists have their own inverted-pyramid view of the copy world that would take a different direction, and I know there's at least a couple journalists floating around here (Garza and?) that I hope will come to the Journalism subforum and participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Any writing that sounds like I'm at work, doesn't sound like anything I want to read. The question you posed might as well have been, how would you like to die? Regardless of what you write, as long as it pertains to business writing, it will put me to sleep. Can you make sure to post them at about 1 am est.?

Ok I'm just kidding.
    Kidding or not, I get paid fairly well because of the above attitude. Same reason garbage men do pretty well too, relatively speaking! Everyone wants to do the fun stuff, and it's a small subset of writers that would consider tech and copy writing as fun.

Some like to write different types of fiction and the same goes for non-fiction. dolla dolla bill y'all for those who can do each well.

Quote Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
    Copy being used in journalism or marketing generally means writing being used in articles, stories, etc. Not sure how a proposal would fit into that scheme. When I think of proposals my tech writer hat goes on and I start thinking about form and structure, business needs (what the publisher wants to see) and the like.
    To me copy writing is precise, to the point and interesting.

I find writing what is needed for the proposal hideously difficult and it shouldn't be.

For example the hook. A one sentence summary of the book that will 'hook' the publisher. (*&%$@!)

I managed to get the 136,000 story down to three sentences and they bored me to death.

That was one of the area that I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinlee View Post
    To me copy writing is precise, to the point and interesting.

I find writing what is needed for the proposal hideously difficult and it shouldn't be.

For example the hook. A one sentence summary of the book that will 'hook' the publisher. (*&%$@!)

I managed to get the 136,000 story down to three sentences and they bored me to death.

That was one of the area that I was thinking of.
    lol! I write short fiction, so not sure how difficult it would be to summarize a novel in a pitch. I imagine it's even harder though, given all the intricacies of character and plot you know just have to be in that first contact!

okay I will forgive you. Is visual mapping the same as mind mapping?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast