What sort of articles would you like to see? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What sort of articles would you like to see?

As a 74 year old amateur writer of non fiction I feel humble amongst you professional writers. I write just for the fun of writing. I can't say that I understand a word of what you guys have posted. Divus. PS Garza has put down his laptop and gone on a sabbatical.

I am new the forum so don't know my way around yet. Did the discussion on Jan7th by dolphinlee and capulet about the hook, and for me more difficult three paragraph synopsis, come to a discussion elsewhere? I would like to follow up on that issue.

I'd like to see articles aimed at helping people advance in their careers by paying more attention to the quality of their on-the-job writing. Your career may not require you to write technical manuals or corporate reports but whatever you do have to write should make people up the chain of command sit up and take notice. Good writing is evidence of good thinking and it's frequently the only way you are known. Not every manager notices, but the ones who do are more likely to sit up and take notice when something you write crosses their desk.

In another thread, I suggested a person research from the specific to the general then write their report from the general to the specific. Sometimes you don't have a choice because your manager has his or her own preferences, but that approach worked for me. Even so, there are career advantages to learning ways to be concise, comprehensive, clear and complete.

Perhaps others can suggest more ways in which we can improve the quality of our on-the-job writing.
    Write with your heart, edit with your head and polish with your ears.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Divus View Post
    As a 74 year old amateur writer of non fiction I feel humble amongst you professional writers. I write just for the fun of writing. I can't say that I understand a word of what you guys have posted. Divus. PS Garza has put down his laptop and gone on a sabbatical.
    What a relief that is, you're not alone Divus.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

I am a professional writer who makes money based upon writing stuff in information memorandums that encapsulate a company which i engage in selling. No cure no pay. My clients consider i write well. My bank balance testifies that i am successful in this endeavour.
    Thing is you write to be understood. The more you technically excel in the form and function of writing usually the greater the turn off in your audience. Those that can do those that cant teach.
    Divus an Dither like you two im too old to die young and i write for fun. Professionally i put soul, interest and a bit of tongue in cheek into my day job. Why. Because it is too important a thing to be taken seriously.
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Holy cow!

I'm not sure if this fits here, but I could use some help. I had a brain injury on March 1 and I'm not working now, but I hope to be back in May.

I work at Walmart as a customer service manager and I had been wanting to branch out and train folks at the self checkout. My supervisor called yesterday and asked me if I was up to writing a training manual for the self check. Y'all might think there's nothing to it, but you'd be surprised.

So yeah, bring on any kind of training or how-to stuff! My best friend, who passed last November, wrote and updated pilots' manuals for American Airlines. These are the booklets in the cockpits that have all the checklists and troubleshooting stuff in them, i.e., if one engine goes out in a Boeing 757 it tells them what to do, step by step, and all the landing and takeoff checklists, along with crash landing checklists. These also cover icing, lightning strikes, bird strikes, crosswind landings, hijackings, and depressurization...and a billion other things that can go wrong.

I think this stuff is fascinating!

Ahem...and if I may say so, I'm very proud they would ask me to do the self check manual for our store. My supervisor, K, asked if I remembered what I learned, and I told her on the phone how to dismantle the upper part of the registers and clean them. Onion peels and other junk can fall through the upper scale, and if it isn't cleaned regularly, gunk will clog up the bill and coin dispensers. Then you have to call NCR again to fix it, when just regular maintenance will prevent that.

Ooops. NCR means National Cash Register. Our NCR guy wears a button on his uniform that says, "I'm here because you broke it."

LOL!!
    Last edited by Hairball; April 13th, 2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: ooops, forgot the funny stuff

I would like to learn more about copywriting. I want to build a blog/website in the future with an emphasis on inspiring writers to write about their personal experiences/transformation in nature. Judging from the way some of my friends' eyes glaze over when I talk about the benefits of living half wild, I know I have to make it sound as appealing as possible. Thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123