The WF I-Sold-A-Story Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: The WF I-Sold-A-Story Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    well christ. i've only completed 8 stories and i've already been a "prima donna" once. i worried about what cran mentioned, too.
    but oh well. i didn't want my name attached to that hatchet job they did on it. i won't make a habit of it, though.
    Oh, I don't think it's being a primadonna to refuse if an editor really hacks up your stuff to the point where you don't like it. That sounds very different. These are just a couple small wording changes I'm making myself.

I really don't think you'd get a reputation for difficulty if you politely turn down a rewrite request. I've read accounts of many writers who do so -- Robert Reed, Tim Pratt, and Elizabeth Hand just off the top of my head. But, note emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyline View Post
    I really don't think you'd get a reputation for difficulty if you politely turn down a rewrite request. I've read accounts of many writers who do so -- Robert Reed, Tim Pratt, and Elizabeth Hand just off the top of my head. But, note emphasis.
    i was real polite about it. and the publisher didn't ask me for a rewrite. the editor slashed my story so bad it was barely recognizable.
    i hated not signing the contract because it was a ok small press with a decent royalty percentage for a short story but it was too much of a hack job.
    it was like it wasn't even my writing anymore. i was like....ummmmmmmmmm, no.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    i was real polite about it. and the publisher didn't ask me for a rewrite. the editor slashed my story so bad it was barely recognizable.
    i hated not signing the contract because it was a ok small press with a decent royalty percentage for a short story but it was too much of a hack job.
    it was like it wasn't even my writing anymore. i was like....ummmmmmmmmm, no.
    Ah well, that's a very different situation. I had the same happen to me over a science article. I told the editor to remove my name from the hack job, and to keep the money; what was published was not my work.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Yep. Have had that happen with newspaper articles.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I just received a really nice message from Fiction365 saying they'd be "more than happy" to publish my story, "The Smell," which I workshopped and developed here with the help of WF. They will be paying me money for something I created, which absolutely blows my mind. Big thanks to this place, as this is something I never expected.

Real money! Not a fortune, but real currency. For my words.

I have a long way to go, in terms of learning and creating better material, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't an absolute thrill.
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

[changed mind, withdrew poem--if it's good I'll get it in somewhere that doesn't make me want to retch politically]
    Last edited by lasm; May 27th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluralized View Post
    I just received a really nice message from Fiction365 saying they'd be "more than happy" to publish my story, "The Smell," which I workshopped and developed here with the help of WF. They will be paying me money for something I created, which absolutely blows my mind. Big thanks to this place, as this is something I never expected.

Real money! Not a fortune, but real currency. For my words.

I have a long way to go, in terms of learning and creating better material, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't an absolute thrill.
    That's the way it always starts - just a taste; that can't hurt, right? But then you get another taste, and another ... pretty soon, you're hooked and you can't wait for the next one. You've turned into a ... writer!
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Last edited by Jon M; June 15th, 2013 at 05:10 AM.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content