The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jon M View Post
    Wondered about that. Read the submissions page and saw Orson Scott Card's name and was like, eh . . .
    dramatic re-enactment:
    Oh who'd I send that poem to? Oh they liked it yay! stupid vines on the website but whatever... tell everyone!
    So this Orson person... he wrote that Bender's Boom thing, right? what was that, hmm, let's find out waitwaitWAIT.

Quote Originally Posted by lasm View Post
    dramatic re-enactment:
    Oh who'd I send that poem to? Oh they liked it yay! stupid vines on the website but whatever... tell everyone!
    So this Orson person... he wrote that Bender's Boom thing, right? what was that, hmm, let's find out waitwaitWAIT.
    LOL

Understandable, but if I seriously marked off every market ran by people I vehemently disagreed with politically, I'd literally have no markets to submit to.

yeah, see, if it were cool but I disagreed, okay, but if I disagree and it's got stupid vines on the website, well... there's this icky frisson of Wholesome and I just... no.

Thanks to this actual thread I sold my story 'A MOTHER'S EMBRACE' to fiction365 last week. I'm delighted as it was the very first story I ever attempted, and it took me just five weeks to accomplish this goal. They were extremely complimentary in their acceptance email, describing it as well-written, tight, and evocotive. It's made me more determined than ever to make a success of this writing malarky.

I've sold a collection of short stories to Pro Se Productions! Over the last few months I've actually had three other stories accepted as well, all in different anthologies. The good news just keeps pouring in!
    "Sometimes, if you just wait it out, and go on about your business without trying to force a solution, it comes - almost as if the old artist has to die before the new one can be born." - Jane Champagne

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by VinrAlfakyn View Post
    I've sold a collection of short stories to Pro Se Productions! Over the last few months I've actually had three other stories accepted as well, all in different anthologies. The good news just keeps pouring in!
    YAY!! Congrats!

It seems you people don't know how to do the happy dance here, so I'll teach you.

You put your left foot in,
    you take your left foot out,
    then you forget about all that crap, take your check, pay a bill or buy some food or even just some goofy thing you may not have wanted to splurge on before like a bottle of cheap wine or a pack of socks or what-the-heck-ever and then you're happy! And all the nay-Sayers gather around and say "Oh, it's only $10" or "It's only $5." And you continue dancing and you say "Well, 10 bucks is part of my electric bill, and so is $5 bucks. It's part of any bill. It might just be a little extra money in my pocket to make me feel safer so that I can catch a bus or just buy a cold drink on a hot day." Then you stand up and you roar crazily until they are cowering, then you stop and say: "And it's from something I did because I loved doing it." Then you smile sweetly at them and wander away whistling.

See! Simple!
    Last edited by Leyline; September 28th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.

Leyline, I couldn't have said it better myself! Even $5 for something I've created is better than not trying at all.
    "Sometimes, if you just wait it out, and go on about your business without trying to force a solution, it comes - almost as if the old artist has to die before the new one can be born." - Jane Champagne

Hidden Content

It's not a paying site, but I got a horror short published on microhorror.com earlier this month. One small step for J.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by J Anfinson View Post
    It's not a paying site, but I got a horror short published on microhorror.com earlier this month. One small step for J.
    Congrats -- and it's not the money that matters.

Tonight I did a happy dance for submitting. My first ever submission, and to a professional market, too!

I toiled over the cover letter (turns out I didn't need one), fretted over the formatting (turns out they reformat it anyways). I chewed my nails as I clicked the "submit" button. I checked my email soon after and I received this acknowledgement (I've #'d out the names):

Kyle,

Your story entitled "Bridging The Void" was submitted to ####### on Oct 23, 2013. Your story will be reviewed as soon as possible, but please allow up to three weeks for a reply. Thanks for your patience, and we'll be in touch!

- ########, #######

I know it's just an automated response, but I was still ecstatic to read it. To know that someone in the professional field will be reading my words is an incredible feeling.

It's especially significant as I've spent several months working on this story. Trials along the way, including losing a finished draft and having to start all over again from scratch. Months later, here I am.

I've officially stepped onto the court. I'm still on the sidelines, waiting to get chosen by a team captain, but at least I'm off the bleachers. (Corny analogy, I know. But it's late and I'm tired. )
    Last edited by Kyle R; October 24th, 2013 at 05:31 AM.