The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread

Well done, George.

All right, not sure if this will make me happy or a traitor to my Art, but I will have sold a story on the condition that I replace my precious swears with something less offensive. I think the story is better with the swear--even the editor says she thinks so, but their standards are their standards, which is understandable.

I'm inclined to bend, as it's a paying market and it would be nice to be accepted. Two I can scrub easily enough. One is harder but I think I can replace it with a lighter swear while retaining 85% of sentence impact, 60% with no swear at all (these numbers were scientifically obtained, of course).

Is there a good reason not to do it?
    Last edited by lasm; March 28th, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Doubt

Last edited by Jon M; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Yeah, that's the place. It's really not gonna ruin the story, so despite the one sentence I think is kinda lessened, I don't feel too dirty or compromised or anything.

As a hater of mustard, probably I should not have been throwing stones in the first place.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jon M; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Congrats lasm! What story if you don't mind?

And happy, of course. Rewrite requests are par for the course, every writer gets them some time or another. As long as they aren't trying to make you fundamentally alter the story itself, I don't think it's a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by lasm View Post
    Is there a good reason not to do it?
    Not unless:
    1. You'd rather starve; or
    2. You want a reputation among publishers that you are difficult to deal with.

Reasons to do it:
    1. Getting published is sort of a goal of being a writer; and
    2. You can always publish the original version later; and
    3. The money.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

And then there's the money.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jon M
    Which, by the way, recently found a home in the same le Journal yours did.
    Congratulations, that's great! I've found I like almost everything they put up, I think it's a cool spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyline View Post
    Congrats lasm! What story if you don't mind?

And happy, of course. Rewrite requests are par for the course, every writer gets them some time or another. As long as they aren't trying to make you fundamentally alter the story itself, I don't think it's a big deal.
    Thanks! No, it's not a big change at all, and I've agreed to make it. In any case, their guidelines do say they ask for profanity to be removed, so I was forewarned (just didn't really think I'd get in) and don't mind that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Not unless:
    1. You'd rather starve; or
    2. You want a reputation among publishers that you are difficult to deal with.

Reasons to do it:
    1. Getting published is sort of a goal of being a writer; and
    2. You can always publish the original version later; and
    3. The money.
    Whaddya mean, I don't get to be a primadonna at this stage of the game?!

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    And then there's the money.
    Can't remember the exact quote or where it comes from (Of Human Bondage, maybe); something to the effect that the only people who sneer at money are the ones who've never had to earn some. Me, I do not sneer.

Quote Originally Posted by lasm View Post

Whaddya mean, I don't get to be a primadonna at this stage of the game?!

well christ. i've only completed 8 stories and i've already been a "prima donna" once. i worried about what cran mentioned, too.
    but oh well. i didn't want my name attached to that hatchet job they did on it. i won't make a habit of it, though.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast