question regarding dialogue - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: question regarding dialogue

Good luck attaining perfection. But here's an idea -- when you feel it has no flaws, no poor grammar, no unwieldy vocabulary and you're completely content with it, THEN post it in the Workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    Good luck attaining perfection. But here's an idea -- when you feel it has no flaws, no poor grammar, no unwieldy vocabulary and you're completely content with it, THEN post it in the Workshop.
    I might. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to writing. At the rate I'm going, it will only take me maybe six months to finish the story. But with how many times I rewrite each chapter, and with how many flaws I find in my own work, I imagine it will be two or three years before I think it's ready to submit for publication.

Take it from someone who knows -- perfectionism is a brick wall. I can agonize over a sentence for an hour. I really got over it by posting in the Workshop. Otherwise, I'll always miss a typo or leave out a word here or there -- it's not that important in the grand scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    Of course. It might me awful. But who knows. It could be great -- or maybe it's decent and just does the job. Why raise the bar to "epic" and cause him to doubt what he's doing sight unseen?
    Because 3k is kind of a lot of real estate, and I was kind of only being semi-serious. But I do apologize: it was a rare moment and I forgot to couch my opinion in neutral, inoffensive terms. I've taken my meds and I'm much better now. Promise I'll try to remember the disclaimer next time.

Mr. Filth, Did you know that a perfect game of chess ends in a draw every time? That doesn't sound very interesting, does it? No, not at all. And chess needs all the help it can get in terms of drumming up interest. We want sacrifices! Daring play! We want to see Fischer smash the Russians all over again. I would advise you abandon this very silly notion of perfection. It is not interesting and I promise you'll sleep better -- less heartburn, no more cramping or bloating either.

The workshop exists for our crummy drafts.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345