How important is the cover? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is the cover?

For me, covers are important because they tell me what kind of book I'm looking at - and not just subject, but quality. If I see a cover that looks slap-dash, amateurish, cartoonish, etc, it tells me that the author/publisher didn't really give a crap about the book (or the writing within). And photography - having studied photography I can tell you unequivocally that students may or may not know how to use a professional camera effectively; chances are even less that they know how to set up the photograph for a professional book cover.
    Has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    For me, covers are important because they tell me what kind of book I'm looking at - and not just subject, but quality. If I see a cover that looks slap-dash, amateurish, cartoonish, etc, it tells me that the author/publisher didn't really give a crap about the book (or the writing within). And photography - having studied photography I can tell you unequivocally that students may or may not know how to use a professional camera effectively; chances are even less that they know how to set up the photograph for a professional book cover.
    Quite true. I was operating under the 'starving artist' philosophy of 'electric bill or professional photographer' mindset, and keeping the expenses as low as possible.

Covers are extremely important. One of the biggest criticisms self publishers get is that their books look like garbage. You need your book to look like the other books on the market. Editing and design are where authors doing it themselves need to spend their money. If you can't afford either, save up and wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12