nonfiction essays and the market

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: nonfiction essays and the market

nonfiction essays and the market

I primarily write nonfiction essays. Many lean toward a personal- outdoor- natural history-environmental topics , but others are on a wide variety of topics from politics to poetry. I believe good market research leads to good publishing results, or at least it has worked for me in my few successes. However I find it an overwhelming task to thoroughly research A) the entirety of the markets, and B) become intimately familiar with those chosen publications that might be suitable for me. I hardly have time to read let alone read widely, what with working 3 jobs. This sounds like a recipe for failure.

I'm curious how others have overcome these obstacles, if there are other nonfiction writers here. I just don't feel there are enough hours in the day, days in the week, and years in my life to really understand the market so I can target my submissions successfully, and this frustrates me to the point of inaction. I want to find a few dozen or so markets and just keep working them until I'm in, but how do I know there aren't hundreds of more appropriate ones? Hmm, I think too much.

Let me rephrase it:

What are your strategies for narrowing down your potential market?

Hi Wannabee, you don't say much about how you currently search. Have you tried Duotrope.com? When I search nonfiction essays with Nature/Environment as a topic, I get 50 results, and you could probably refine from there. Worth checking out if you haven't already. It's free until the end of this month.

I've done everything...Writer's Market, the guide to small publications (can't remember its exact name), Duotrope...OK well I've done those three, which is most everything. I have no trouble fnding possible markets. I want to find probable buyers. I don't mind publishing some in journals, but I don't want to spend a lot of time doing that either. Certainly some excellent writers get published in journals a lot, but I'm still not sure how they fit into my plan (that's something for another thread maybe).

50 isn't a large number but even 50 markets is a fairly formidable number to obtain issues of, read, and become familiar enough with to decide if they are for me. Sure I could hit all their websites in 2 hours but that isn't good research to me.