Poetry is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poetry is ...

Poetry is ...

It is fairly obvious really, I am asking you to finish the statement appropriately. I hope for everything from the matter-of-fact ‘Poetry is a collection of words arranged in order ...”, to “Poetry is an ephemeral sense of being contained within ...”. Along the way I would expect a number of definitions that are definitions of a poem, or even most poems; but it is hard to think of things that cover everything. For example, “Poetry is an unusual view of that which is usually concealed or mundane.” It is true of a lot of poetry; all?

That should give us plenty to discuss in between. Your turn ...
    37 videos so far up from 36, added 'moonlight holder' today, 19 Feb.
    Hidden Content

Poetry is: Words maximized.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Poetry is the moment between heartbeats.

I hope for everything from the matter-of-fact ‘Poetry is a collection of words arranged in order ...”, to “Poetry is an ephemeral sense of being contained within ...”.
    My hopes are being realised it seems, though you two phrase the points of view far more elegantly than I did. How about,

Poetry is the transformation of the individual into the communal; the translation of the private and personal into the universal and cultural and the transmutation of the agonising into the rich.
    Hidden Content

I have just come across W H Auden quoted as saying " Poetry is memorable speech". It is not true, I am sure I have heard people mis-Quote things more often than they could quote them. to my mind it draws attention to the point in a way that is singular and holds the attention. The event may be memorable, but although the particular words may frequently be recognised for their excellence they are more rarely memorable.
    "How did he put it? ... no it was almost that ... anyway it was dead good, you should have heard it."
    Hidden Content

Poetry is the echo of silence. A falling leaf. The moment of release. The hollow tear shed in darkness. Poetry leads us to the More.

Poetry is the expression of one's imagination through the mystification of a reality

Poetry is truth distilled.

The best explanation I’ve heard is that poetry is paradoxical. It attempts to use words to say something that can’t be put into words. It fills in the cracks and is the empty space that is left over. I know that may not make a lot of sense, so I’ll let the poet Mark Strand say it, better than I can.

Keeping Things Whole

In a field
    I am the absence
    of field.
    This is
    always the case.
    Wherever I am
    I am what is missing.

When I walk
    I part the air
    and always
    the air moves in
    to fill the spaces
    where my body’s been.

We all have reasons
    for moving.
    I move
    to keep things whole.

Mark Strand

(I took this from my article in one of our newsletters, so if it sounds familiar...)
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Poetry is something new that flowers from the existence of something old. A fresh scent from an ancient sea. Beauty out of ugliness to beauty again.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast