Empress Theresa - what do you do with unlimited power ? - Page 5

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Empress Theresa - what do you do with unlimited power ?

Banned
    Maine - we're here so you don't have to be
    Good luck trying to grab yourself an agent, then.

Good luck with your story about zombies fighting demons.

Good luck with your story about zombies fighting demons.
    Thank you.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Banned
    Okay, so it's a YA book you're marketing to pretty much everyone. Considering that I've read The Hunger Games as well as the YA books that my daughter's reading I can see this. So, what do you think you'll do here? Divide it or keep it as one? I haven't read every word of your thread so you may have covered this but are you going to write more about empress theresa? If there is more material to come I'd still say go for a series. Why not?

RE:
    YA book you're marketing to pretty much everyone

The only element that would be hard to get people in general to accept is the entity called HAL. The book explains what he is, where he came from, how he evolved, and how he operates. Hint: he's not from an alien civilization and he's not alive, and he's probably billions of years old, and by some mysterious process he multiplies into trillions throughout the universe so there was a good chance one might wander into Earth.

If the reader gets past that, the rest of the story is entirely within the sphere of human activity in the present world, not some futuristic world where anything is possible due to scientific advances. No time travel, no alien invasions, no zombies, vampires, dragons, witches or any of that hokey stuff which make me despair of America's future.

RE: Divide it or keep it as one?

Although I think the chances are no better than winning the Powerball lottery, there is a small possibility a literary agent might start talking about dividing the book into two. That is possible. I still have that 142,000 word version.

At the end of chapter 13, Theresa has triumphed. She has cracked the "code" to controlling HAL, and implemented the solution to saving the world from global starvation. She is the greatest hero since, er..... well....... the greatest ever.

Edmund Parker invited the Prime Minister to stay a while and Blair accepted. We all watched the television as the news broke out.
    The reporters talked excitedly about how I had saved seven billion lives. There wouldn’t even be a famine in Asia. I was the biggest hero in history. Steve was so proud of me he almost popped the buttons off his shirt.
    It was still light in America. Early evening baseball games were going on and the crowds were jumping up and down screaming my name. The scoreboards showed series of my pictures. New Yorkers were pouring into Times Square for a New Year’s Eve kind of celebration. But all this was nothing. It was morning in Beijing, China. Millions of people were collecting in the Forbidden City. They were holding my photograph in their hands and yelling Tah-ee-sah! Tah-ee-sah! I was smiling and tearing up at the same time. This was my greatest moment.

A book could be neatly ended there.

What about the second book?
    The solution Theresa implements to prevent global starvation will itself cause "impossible" problems. As Edmund Parker says, "The world is a delicate mechanism. Change one thing and you change something else." Theresa's struggle goes on.

Interesting to think about.
    Last edited by empresstheresa; November 28th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

The only element that would be hard to get people in general to accept is the entity called HAL. The book explains what he is, where he came from, how he evolved, and how he operates. Hint: he's not from an alien civilization and he's not alive, and he's probably billions of years old, and by some mysterious process he multiplies into trillions throughout the universe so there was a good chance one might wander into Earth.
    I'm already very interested in HAL.

If you want to avoid turning people off with a more complex idea, it might be worth making it more vague and a product of the reader's imagination. Unless you've already done that.

In the smoke and flames from my burning ships and bridges.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by empresstheresa View Post
    The only element that would be hard to get people in general to accept is the entity called HAL.
    The thing is, that is your job as a writer. Convince them that HAL is real.

In 2001: A Space Odyssey the audience believes, at least while they're watching the movie, that a sentient computer (which you reminded me of with the name) is real.

In Chronicles of Narnia the readers believe, for a time, that animals can talk and a mouse can be a knight of Narnia.

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld series you can believe for a while in a world that is a flat earth, resting on the backs of four elephants who stand on a giant turtle as it swims through space.

Suspension of disbelief is essential, you have to believe it and in the most convincing way possible, get us to believe it. At least for a while.
    We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

not some futuristic world where anything is possible due to scientific advances.
    If Theresa has unlimited power of any kind, doesn't that mean that the possibilties become more endless?

Your story does look like sci-fi to me, in a way.

Banned
    The thing is, that is your job as a writer. Convince them that HAL is real.

In 2001: A Space Odyssey the audience believes, at least while they're watching the movie, that a sentient computer (which you reminded me of with the name) is real.

In Chronicles of Narnia the readers believe, for a time, that animals can talk and a mouse can be a knight of Narnia.

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld series you can believe for a while in a world that is a flat earth, resting on the backs of four elephants who stand on a giant turtle as it swims through space.

Suspension of disbelief is essential, you have to believe it and in the most convincing way possible, get us to believe it. At least for a while.

Interesting observations, Foxee. You're very foxy.

People are willing to suspend belief if they've heard a book is worth reading.
    This is true not only in scifi or fantasy.

Consider the "real life" book To Kill a Mockingbird. The infamous Robert Ewell, who everybody knows beat his daughter for the unforgivable sin of tempting a black and tries to cover it up by getting the black convicted of beating and raping his daughter, is angry at lawyer Atticus Finch for making him look like a scumbag in court. Ewell tries to get revenge on Atticus by attacking his 13 year old son Jem and 9 year old daughter Scout and apparently trying to kill them ( with a switchblade knife not mentioned in the movie ).

Well! Really now! Have you ever heard of that happening in real life? It stretches credulity.
    Even Harper Lee seems to sense she's going too far. She has Atticus express amazement that anybody could be that low.

-----------------------------------------------

Sidenote:
    In chapter one, Theresa had seen 2001 on television a few months earlier and now she rents the movie. When Jan Struthers visits she mentions the movie and Theresa says she calls the entity HAL.
    "HAL was the computer. The monolith was the alien."
    "The monolith didn't talk."
    "Does HAL talk to you?"
    "No."
    Ten year old Theresa is a little confused. Later, her sharp mind will dazzle everybody.
    Last edited by empresstheresa; November 28th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Banned
    If Theresa has unlimited power of any kind, doesn't that mean that the possibilties become more endless?

Theresa doesn't have unlimited power of any kind.
    HAL is a very clunky device to use, something like the first personal computers that became available, the Commodore 64 and all those pieces of junk. Remember them? If that's your picture, you weren't born yet.

Theresa needs days to program HAL to do a single specific action. She doesn't have a magic wand from Sleeping Beauty to wave at any problem she sees and have immediately done what she wants done by just thinking about it.

=========================

Although Theresa could develop a large network of fanatical followers, like Hitler or Mao, or like the computer in Colossus: The Forbin Project sequel, and get everybody in the world to sing and dance whatever tune she wants,
    she doesn't do this.
    She's a good girl. "I'm not going to tell anybody what to do. People know best what to do with there lives."
    Last edited by empresstheresa; November 28th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

In the smoke and flames from my burning ships and bridges.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by empresstheresa View Post
    People are willing to suspend belief if they've heard a book is worth reading.
    Okay, here you've moved from the writing (your job) to the marketing department's success in getting the word out about your book. You aren't ready for the marketing department, the ball's still in your court.

I'm not sure why you have it in for Harper Lee but, that aside, I've already listed at least three other totally improbable scenarios that audiences still believed in quite strongly and we could go all day listing similar examples. My point is that you sounded like you're faulting readers, as though perhaps they're not going to buy into your HAL character because of some shortcoming of their own. If you don't think he's believable then now is the time to figure out why and get the character banged into shape.

Without that the best marketing in the world won't get someone to read the entire book.
    We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Banned
    My point is that you sounded like you're faulting readers, as though perhaps they're not going to buy into your HAL character because of some shortcoming of their own.

Where did heck did you get that!

What goes on on this forum?