Empress Theresa - what do you do with unlimited power ? - Page 18

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 810111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Empress Theresa - what do you do with unlimited power ?

Banned
    Maine - we're here so you don't have to be
    "I won't answer your reporters's questions. Nobody elected you. I'll talk to elected heads of state when necessary for the public good.
    "I saved your lives. All I want in return is the right to walk the streets without being hounded by curiosity seekers and the paparazzi. You owe me that much."
    That definitely sounds stuck up and rude, sorry. If she's a hero doing things for the people's good, then I don't think she should sound like it's just a duty she HAS to do and like just leave me alone about it!
    Between these two paragraphs, Theresa says this:

“There is another important point. My work isn’t done. I still have to watch what HAL is doing. Some people will want me to do this or that with him. They will demonstrate for their pet project when it will benefit them at the cost to others. I cannot allow myself to be influenced by demonstrations. I have a responsibility to be fair to everybody."

Theresa assumes this point is understood and doesn't expand it.
    Somebody who seeks public attention will tap dance to whatever is popular. Theresa can't let this happen.

On the next page she narrates:
    Neither the House members nor any of the millions watching could believe it. They had never heard of any person with any kind of achievement no matter how small not seeking some kind of recognition for it. Nobody was immune. Even Medal of Honor winners, whose aura depended on a show of humility, at least gave one interview to one reporter. Here I’d just saved the world, and I wanted nothing to do with them. The all-powerful World Empress wouldn’t make the rounds of the talk shows and political meetings. I wanted a private life.

She understands that some people will consider her asnob, but as she narrates later, "That's how it had to be from now on."

So she just accepts that she's a snob? Wow. It's just your way or the high way isn't it? Why ask for advice if all you want is someone to go praise you on every aspect of a first draft of a novel? If you won't accept criticism I can't really help you, cause I certainly won't lie and say that everything about the book was just FABULOUS and kept me completely captivated! Although a lot of it isn't even that you need to rewrite anything. Just rearrange it so it makes more sense. I did that a lot with my book; I didn't have to rewrite every part that didn't fit but just ease it elsewhere into the story so it FLOWED and fit.
    And if she had so much power, I'm sure she could tell them she's NOT a s nob if she didn't want to be one. She has all the power in the world and still allows herself to be pushed around by others...
    and the whole romance thing?...with the way the character is, it just completely destroyed any ideas of a 'good' character that I had in the beginning.

Banned
    To Jaren again...

Once upon I time I did a web search on the words writer forum, and noticed this one was a big one. So I joined.

I joined before looking at it.

I assumed it was a forum of published authors who would tell about their experiences with literary agents, publishers, writers groups, and their own backgrounds.

After looking around for a while I found out that's not what the forum was about. But I followed the crowd and gave a brief intro to my work.
    The reaction was unexpected. I got this in post 14, from a Forum Moderator no less !
    The difference between Harper Lee and you, is that you aren't Harper Lee.
    It went downhill from there.
    Last edited by empresstheresa; December 18th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

To ET
    Once upon a time(rather recently ) I did the exact same search on the words 'writer forum'. I joined also because it was well known. The first thought that came to my mind was not "AUTHOR'S forum" Just writers. Writers like me sharing stories opinions critiques and hopefully taking advice.
    It's not a forum of New York Times best selling authors. It's just a forum of anyone who likes to write. Hence "writers"
    Your assumption was wrong. But if you think about it, all those other authors were just aspiring writers once too. Writers with big idea and great dreams.
    However, I see I'm getting nowhere with this. You simply won't accept anything anyone says. Yikes, to think of what an editor or published author would do if you replied like this to their more "professional" criticism! :O

Haha, and the ironic thing is although you are and probably will disregard everything I say, I like this place! Watching the way others handle critiquing a story and even handle people who don't take criticism is simply making me EXCITED to post part of my story and yes *gasp* hear criticism and not get offended!

Actually, I enjoy constructive criticism. That's right, I ENJOY it! Even hearing someone tell me they hate my book ideas! Cause I take those things and use them to better my story, especially because this story is not just being written for me. It's being written for the general populace. So I think the general populace are the ones who really help decide if it's a good book; if it's a book they'd pick up and read.

Also, jumping back to your story though I dread what response I might get it might be good to write a character sketch for Theresa. That way she won't be all over the place and won't do something she previously resolved she'd never do. But that's your call. I find it helpful though

Hehe and the funny thing about reading someone else's story is when I go back and read mine I can compare the overall appearance and either feel the need to improve or be like WOW my story's even better than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by empresstheresa View Post
    I have another thread on another forum that's years old. Nobody over there trashes my story. They're not jealous writers.
    I was sorely tempted to ask where, but then I realized that I really don't care. So the only question is why do you remain here? Why not stay on that forum if that is what you prefer?
    Last edited by the antithesis; December 18th, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
    Omit Needless Words.

I think post 173 is a better story than the current version of empress theresa, on the fact that it gets to the plot and conflict much quicker. Also, it has more interesting characters.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

The difference between Harper Lee and you, is that you aren't Harper Lee.
    So you are Harper Lee? Blimey.

Banned
    I've only seen the kind of behavior I've seen on this forum outdone by one other forum,
    the atheist forum I joined for a short time,
    where anything goes no matter how outrageous,
    except reason.

I don't understand your concern. The problem doesn't lie with anyone else on this forum. You, ET, are the person taking offense at everyone's useful critique. I'd appretiate it if you didn't place any blame on the great, helpful people that have taken the time to read your work and say what they think, when it is your response to what they say that causes such an issue here. I could only think that if you stopped reading your own posts, you wouldn't have the problem you do.

On an unrelated note, the way you wrote that post made me want to turn it into a poem:

This forum's behaviour is only outdone by
    the atheist forum I joined for a short season,
    where anything goes, no matter how outrageous,
    except reason.