Empress Theresa is here.

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empress Theresa is here.

Banned
    Maine - we're here so you don't have to be

Empress Theresa is here.

Hello. I just discovered this forum an hour ago and registered.

I've been working on a Young Adult novel called Empress Theresa for many years and will try to find out what people think of it.
    It's already finished and has 96,000 words, about the maximum you could put in a YA, I think. I've rejected a hundred ideas over the years, leaving in only what I think were the best.

I'll be posting in the correct section soon.

See ya.

Hello, and welcome!
    Hidden Content <--Proceed with der clickity.

Hello there, and welcome to the forums.
    My website: Hidden Content
    My Facebook page: Hidden Content
    My blog: Hidden Content

Hi...what is your style? Given the working title I'm seeing a Fantasy novel..yes? No ?
    Life's too short to drink bad wine or eat indifferent cheese

M' Liege Lady. Welcome to our 'umble abode. Sheets are changed Tuesdays and Thursdays. Curry on Friday and no eating toast in bed. Enjoy!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunluchyn View Post
    Hi...what is your style? Given the working title I'm seeing a Fantasy novel..yes? No ?
    Sorry I couldn't get back earlier. My GOOGLE CHROME couldn't connect to WritersForum. I don't know why.

Some people might call Empress Theresa sci/fi, but I call it Young Adult. The Hunger Games also has some sci/fi elements in it but is called YA.

Some lifeless, natural entity merges with Theresa when she is ten years old. It does nothing to her. This is not "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or any hokie stuff like that.
    When Theresa is eighteen, she learns how to control this entity which she calls HAL. HAL moves matter. Any amount. Any where. Theresa acquires limitless power, not in the political arena, but over the Earth's surface itself.

It is the British Prime Minister who coins the phrase "Empress Theresa" because of her awesome power, and the term sticks.
    Theresa is a good girl. Most people with her kind of power would try to tell people what to do. Theresa does not. "People know best what to do with their lives" she says.

Naturally, I provide her with difficult problems, even "impossible problems" as they're called in the story. The fun for the reader is to try to figure out how Theresa will solve these "impossible" problems before they read about it.

But never mind the action sequences. My real interest was in Theresa's character, or personality if you prefer. I hope that the reader will get to understand was makes her tick as well as if she were a sister. I intended this to be a character driven story.
    Last edited by empresstheresa; October 27th, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Get writing...I want to read it, sounds like a fun and interesting book you have inside you
    Life's too short to drink bad wine or eat indifferent cheese

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunluchyn View Post
    Get writing...I want to read it, sounds like a fun and interesting book you have inside you
    Get writing? It's already finished!

Actually, I have three versions on my computer: a 142,000 word version with a bewildering number of characters and scenes completed two years ago, a shorter 119,000 word version, and the final 96,000 word YA version completed last Spring told in Theresa's own first person voice which sacrifices some discussions going on between the British Prime Minister and President Stinson, as well the earlier Presidents Gardner and Martin, but since Theresa was always "on screen" even in the larger earlier versions the YA doesn't sacrifice anything important.

The March 2012 edition of AARP had an article called "60 going on 16" about how older people such as retired English teachers were enjoying YA books more than adult books because of the nostalgic effect. They remembered how it was when they were young. Even established authors such as John Grisham and James Baldacci are experimenting with YA.
    Soon after, I read all three of The Hunger Games books and realized Empress Theresa screamed to be a YA novel. The kids will love "watching" her prevail over incredible obstacles. Older readers will enjoy the political and philosophical themes hidden between the lines.

Welcome, welcome! I look forward to seeing your work.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" - Theodore Roosevelt

Hidden Content - Cute Warning |Hidden Content

Banned
    Welcome, welcome! I look forward to seeing your work.

Thanks.

It certainly is a different kind of Young Adult novel !

Not just worried about the high school prom, eighteen year old Theresa ( one year at Boston College ) gets embroiled in world problems.
    She survives an assassination attempt by President Martin, talks with the British Prime Minister in London on live television with four billion viewers, hears the President of France say a thousand assassins will be after her, ( *** ) takes on OPEC singlehanded, helps Israel evacuate, and liberates the North Korean people. Among other things.

( *** ) "You can kill me if you want. HAL will just move to somebody else. It could be anybody. HAL wouldn't know the difference between Joan of Arc and Adolf Hitler. Want to try your luck?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast