Courtjester's Food For Thought - Page 9

Page 9 of 282 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171959109209 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtjester's Food For Thought

Honoured/Sadly Missed Courtjester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    ... i"m not so sure that it is necessarily the unleashing of one's "inner child" that causes disagreement...

Nobody said it was. Cj
    [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]Even though the darkest clouds are in the sky,
    You mustnít sigh and you mustnít cry.
    Spread a little happiness, as you go by.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Times New Roman]O:)[/FONT][/I][/B]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Did you know that we all view everything that is in our earthly existence somewhat differently from everybody else? There are as many variations as there are souls, including those on the other side of the veil of consciousness that to this day separates our two worlds. This is because every human soul is an individual spark of the Divine and no two of us are exactly alike. No two people have exactly the same Karma, i.e. having gone through the same experiences, or have reached the same evolutionary level.

[CENTER][B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]Even though the darkest clouds are in the sky,

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Courtjester View Post

Nobody said it was. Cj
    The article that you linked to certainly implied that, if it didn't say it outright.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    The article that you linked to certainly implied that, if it didn't say it outright.
    Sorry about that. Because the original link created a wrong impression, I changed it to the more general context to which the quote belongs. Cj

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Two of my favourite quotes from fiction that I try to keep in mind throughout life;

'Of all the illusions which torment the minds of men, one of the worst is the illusion of separateness.'

Gentian Hill, Elizabeth Goudge pg.315

'Throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.'

Great Expectations, Charles Dickens, Ch.27

It’s the plugging away that will win you the day,
    So don’t be a piker, old pard!
    Just draw on your grit, it’s so easy to quit.
    It’s the keeping-your chin-up that’s hard.

It’s easy to cry that you’re beaten – and die;
    It’s easy to crawfish and crawl;
    But to fight and to fight when hope’s out of sight –
    Why that’s the best game of them all!

And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
    All broken and battered and scarred,
    Just have one more try – it’s dead easy to die,
    It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

‘Rhymes of a Rolling Stone’

From Waking Up From The Dark Night Of The Soul

Last edited by Courtjester; April 18th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

ĎKindness in words creates confidence. In thinking it creates profoundness and in giving it creates love.í Lao Tzu

ĎWords have the power to destroy and heal, and words that are true and kind can make our world a better place.í The Buddha

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Taking Charge Of Our Tongues - Part 1

On our pathway through life learning to watch the words we speak and thereby taking charge of our tongues is as vital an issue as any other. That is undoubtedly the reason why as early as the Bibleís Old Testament warned in Proverbs 18:21: ĎDeath and life are in the power of the tongue; and those who love it shall eat the fruits thereof.í In ĎSpiritual Unfoldment 2í White Eagle adds to this: ĎKeep control of your tongue, so that it says no unkind and hurtful thing. Bear in mind the feelings of those to whom you speak and do so gently and thoughtfully, without anger and haste. When you do this, my dear children of the Earth, difficulties fall away, sorrow recedes into the background and you cannot help but become aware of the gentle presence of the Master within you.

ĎWe ask you to render a service to yourself and that is holding your tongue. It is one of the hardest tasks that can be asked of you. You ought to see the mists that surround you and your world that is caused by idle chatter. When there is so much of it on the Earth, even the Angels can to nothing but bow their heads, because in that case they are unable to minister to you. Whenever you are tempted to say: ĎI think or believe so and so. I like this person, but I donít like that one,í instead of speaking, be silent and wait and see. If you can also restrain yourself from expressing any foolish opinions about the affairs and the state of your world you will greatly assist the Angels in their work.í

Last edited by Courtjester; April 29th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Taking Charge Of Our Tongues - Part 2

In ancient Greece the philosopher Socrates, 469 - 399 BC, famous for his great wisdom, was only too aware of what kind of damage careless gossip can cause. One day he came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said: ‘Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?’

‘Wait a moment,’ Socrates replied. ‘Before you tell me I’d like you to pass a little test. It’s called the Triple Filter Test.’

‘Triple filter? What does it mean?’

‘Before you talk to me about my student let’s take a moment to run what you’re going to say through some filters. The first one is Truth. Are you sure that what you are about to tell me is true?’

‘No, I just heard about it.’

‘All right,’ replied Socrates. ‘As you don’t really know whether what you have to say is true or not, let’s try the second filter, the one of goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?’

‘No, quite the opposite!’

‘Ah! So you want to tell me something bad about someone, even though you’re not certain it’s true?’

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued: ‘Well, if what you have to say is meant to be of some use to me, you may still pass the test, because the third filter is the test of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?’

‘No, not really!’ came the reply.

‘If what you want to tell me is neither true nor good and not even useful, why tell it to me at all?’ asked the sage.

Deeply ashamed of himself, the man walked away.

This is but one example of the wisdom for which Socrates was held in such high esteem by his contemporaries. His message is as poignant and valid for us as it was in his time.
    Last edited by Courtjester; April 29th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

ĎIf you want others to be happy, practise compassion. If you want to be happy, practise compassion.í The Dalai Lama
    Last edited by Courtjester; April 28th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]