Courtjester's Food For Thought - Page 2

Page 2 of 307 FirstFirst 123456789101252102202 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtjester's Food For Thought

For a Friend by Richard Coles & Jimmy Somerville

This was written for a friend of jimmy Somerville’s who died of Aids.

I can never hear it without thinking of my father.

I never cried the way I cried over you
    As I put down the telephone and the world it carried on
    Somewhere else, someone else is crying too
    Another man has lost a friend, I bet he feels the way I do
    Although I'm left without, I know your love within
    As I watch the sun go down, watching the world fade away
    All the memories of you come rushing back to me
    All I want to do I'd kiss you goodbye
    [ Lyrics from:
    Summer comes and I remember how we'd march
    We'd march for love and peace, together arm in arm
    Tears have turned, turned to anger and contempt
    I'll never let you down, a battle I have found
    And all the dreams we had, I will carry on
    All I want to do I'd kiss you once goodbye, goodbye
    Goodbye, goodbye

And all the dreams we had, I will carry on
    All I want to do I'd kiss you once goodbye, goodbye
    Goodbye, goodbye

One of the greatest characters of all time: Iago from Shakespeare's "Othello." Like any good villain, Iago informs us of his dastardly plans...

Iago - Othello, Act II, Scene III

And what's he then that says I play the villain?
    When this advice is free I give and honest,
    Probal to thinking and indeed the course
    To win the Moor again? For 'tis most easy
    The inclining Desdemona to subdue
    In any honest suit: she's framed as fruitful
    As the free elements. And then for her
    To win the Moor—were't to renounce his baptism,
    All seals and symbols of redeemed sin,
    His soul is so enfetter'd to her love,
    That she may make, unmake, do what she list,
    Even as her appetite shall play the god
    With his weak function. How am I then a villain
    To counsel Cassio to this parallel course,
    Directly to his good? Divinity of hell!
    When devils will the blackest sins put on,
    They do suggest at first with heavenly shows,
    As I do now: for whiles this honest fool
    Plies Desdemona to repair his fortunes
    And she for him pleads strongly to the Moor,
    I'll pour this pestilence into his ear,
    That she repeals him for her body's lust;
    And by how much she strives to do him good,
    She shall undo her credit with the Moor.
    So will I turn her virtue into pitch,
    And out of her own goodness make the net
    That shall enmesh them all.

One plan to rule them all, one plan to find them, one plan to bring them all and in the darkness, enmesh them.

Every story needs an Iago!

Honoured/Sadly Missed Courtjester's Avatar
    ĎLet us all cultivate a sense of humour, so that we treat as amusing those things in humanity which would otherwise irritate or annoy us. Let us be understanding, feeling with our siblings in their little irritations and annoyances and turn darkness into light by throwing upon it the wondrous warming beam of humour.í White Eagle ĎStella Polarisí February/March 2007
    Last edited by Courtjester; October 30th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]Even though the darkest clouds are in the sky,
    You mustnít sigh and you mustnít cry.
    Spread a little happiness, as you go by.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Times New Roman]O:)[/FONT][/I][/B]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Divine wisdom has always presented itself to humankind in many and varied forms. To help us gain a better understanding of our world, it flows and works constantly through all manner of channels.

This wide and Universal theatre
    Presents more woeful pageants than the scene, wherein we play.
    All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one person, in their time, plays many parts.

From Shakespeare ‘As you like it’

The above is as good an example as any of this. Do you find it as astonishing as I do that it has taken so long until the meaning of wisdom, like the one above, to work its way through the layers of our collective consciousness? Have they not taken an incredibly long time – in Earth terms – until sufficient numbers of individual consciousnesses grasp what this life is all about? How much longer will it take until finally everybody benefits from what has been part of the knowledge of our world, in some cases for an incredibly long time? This most certainly applies to the concepts of God and the Universe.

[CENTER][B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]Even though the darkest clouds are in the sky,

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

" Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." -Francis of Assisi

Are Morkonan & CourtJester having a competition with each other? I begin to feel a) like an intruder and b) outclassed!

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinlee View Post
    Are Morkonan & CourtJester having a competition with each other? I begin to feel a) like an intruder and b) outclassed!
    Then, start sharing some "Food for thought", even if it's just "Chicken Soup for the Soul."

Thank you for the invitation Morkanon. This is from am email doing the rounds of cyberspace.
    The Green Thing

In the line at the supermarket, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the shop or off licence. They sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilised and refilled and re-used. The plant could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have lifts and escalators in every shop and office building. We walked to the local shops and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go to a supermarket

We bought fruit and veg loose - and washed them at home. We didn't have to throw away bins full of plastic, foam and paper packaging, that need huge recycling plants fed by monster trucks all day, everyday.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes.

Kids got hand-me-down (mostly hand made or hand knitted)clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing shipped from the other side of the planet.

But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day

Back then shops repaired things with funny things called spare parts - we didn't need to throw whole items away because a small part failed.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of Scotland.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power and hand clippers for the hedges.

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a brightly lit, air conditioned health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity and then drink millions of bottles of that special water from those plastic bottles

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a plastic cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new plastic pen, and we replaced blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole plastic razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their parents into a 24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest fish & chip shop.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran is one of my favourite inspirational books. This is one of my favourite bits, I have tried to remember it with my children.

On Children
    And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children." And he said:
    Your children are not your children.
    They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
    They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
    You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
    You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
    For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable

It sounds so simple and it is so hard.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinlee View Post
    I couldn't agree more! Cj

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]