Standing Still (EDIT) - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Standing Still (EDIT)

Thank you, Fats.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Ok I'm going to state what impression I got from the poem as my critique and I'm curious to hear from you whether I interpreted it the way you intended or not.

I feel as though it's someone whose suffered a great loss but is still tormented by the memories they shared with that individual. Is that individual dead or or are they someone the protagonist cast out of their life and who has recently tried to recontact them invoking the proclamation of a right to "stasis". At the end when you say "you are not Joshua" I think of the protagonist is trying to expunge her demons in the sense that she either wats to be rid of the memories and the pain that accompanies it once and for all or if the person is trying to get back in her life, she is convincing herself that they are no longer the person she had once cared for so deeply. So on a limb here.. I'll conclude the theme to be something like "loss and recovery"

Thank you for the read, ZC. Loss and recovery are both spot on here, even if the details aren't an exact match, which is a great thing about poetry. We immediately fill in the blanks with our own personal perspective and give it a meaning.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234