My Week - Page 8

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: My Week

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    it's really not a bad city, in my opinion. i'd probably keep a home here, even if i came into a lot of money. i think he and i kind of have in
    common too much experience with the more sordid areas of town. not sure about him, i don't know him personally, but that's the way i take it.

edit: oh...and i guess this post just moved me up from an "adept writer" to a "profound writer". how special.
    True. Not such a bad town, but like every place you go, there are the flypaper sections, the littered streets full of sullen people. The white trash are the absolute worst. I just want to shake them and scream, "Read a #[email protected]^% book! Be more like me so that I can relate to you on any human level!"

I'm poor, so I have to live in this part of town, Frog Holler, Dogpatch, whatever...

At least it's not Detroit.
    If your art doesn't push, you won't get any pull.

Oh, a couple more from this evening:

The Penny Hater
    Grandpa Insane
    Absolute Returner
    Shaved Bigfoot
    Definitely Has Concealed Weapon Man
    Baby Shirt Muffin-Top
    Should Never Wear Shorts
    Oil Magnate

Some of them almost sound like Indian names.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcopitcairn View Post
    True. Not such a bad town, but like every place you go, there are the flypaper sections, the littered streets full of sullen people. The white trash are the absolute worst. I just want to shake them and scream, "Read a #[email protected]^% book! Be more like me so that I can relate to you on any human level!" I'm poor, so I have to live in this part of town, Frog Holler, Dogpatch, whatever...At least it's not Detroit.
    lol. oh yeah. i found the "little tijuana" section of town i lived in like near washington/belmont much more pleasant than the white trash neighborhoodi lived in on minnesota/state. i have to admit, though....i found the black neighborhood at like michigan/16th worse than all of them. i'm in north hamilton countytill august, though. i'm here to finish this book and then i'm back to the city. i can't stand it here in the sticks no more. too much time in my own head.and this motel job is filled with more garbage than i ever seen in haughville.
    Last edited by dale; June 5th, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    lol. oh yeah. i found the "little tijuana" section of town i lived in like near washington/belmont much more pleasant than the white trash neighborhoodi lived in on minnesota/state. i have to admit, though....i found the black neighborhood at like michigan/16th worse than all of them. i'm in north hamilton countytill august, though. i'm here to finish this book and then i'm back to the city. i can't stand it here in the sticks no more. too much time in my own head.and this motel job is filled with more garbage than i ever seen in haughville.
    I imagine working in a motel must be awful. Ugh.

Arco, I had to read back a ways to discover the city you're in because I was thinking it was mine.

Only took less then 24hr after hooking back up with our local police to get my first snake rescue call from them. (today) Hope this is the start of a busy year. This works out well for everybody. The police won't have to bother with those calls which thrills me to pieces because all they do is kill it! Gives me a chance to save more, which also thrills me to pieces . Oh, and more chapters for my book! hehehe

Nothing too significant or important and I have no idea why I'm even posting this...sometimes we just have to get it out....i read it as real cos it felt so real.

Well it is your 100th post.

EDIT: Well was your 100th post at the time.
    Last edited by John_O; June 7th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amsawtell View Post
    Arco, I had to read back a ways to discover the city you're in because I was thinking it was mine.
    No, you'd know if I was in your town because you would hear the soft, soft sounds of genius in the distance...

Went to a comic show on Sunday. We don't really get comic conventions here, but every two months we get a show. I went with my friend, Doug. The show is a relatively small affair, but it's easy to spend money there. I like it because you can get lots of bronze-age stuff for a buck or two. I got some Werewolf By Night, old Marvel Spotlight's (Featuring Son of Satan!), and the whole run (10 Issues) of Omega, The Unknown. Omega, The Unknown, by Steve Gerber, was a very strange comic, and hard to explain. I was actually thinking about trying to, but I don't think I can.

I like being at the show. It's full of people who like the things I like. Fanboys. I have a soft spot for fanboys, but unfortunately, most of them are socially inept and tactless. Harmless, but very flawed people. There's just a bearing they have that tells the observant that these are not a normal sort, a peculiar breed. They have a fear in them, some of them do, like a whipped dog mentality that makes them hard to figure. Someone, like myself, in the show setting, might like to strike up a conversation with one of them while sifting through fifty-centers, but the fanboys are so used to being outsiders, they practically flinch when you talk to them. Not all, mind you, but most. They are alone in a room full of hundreds of like-minded individuals. I'm a fanboy too, but I don't have that problem. I mesh well.

Almost everybody I meet likes me. It must be the social chameleon part of me, but I seem to fit in easily with everyone I come in contact with. I think it may be a defense mechanism on my part. I don't particularly want people to like me, but if they do like me, they are less apt to hurt me in some way.

A zombie anthology book, in which I have a story, and drew the cover for, has been published. I got a copy of the book in the mail the other day. It's always nice being published, even on a small scale. Another anthology for which I drew the cover was published as well. I'm jazzed, within reason. These are small things, but they make me happy in an otherwise dreary time.

Last night an old man was walking through the aisles of my store while I was stocking shelves. He carried a container of bleach. I'd seen the old man before and we have been friendly in the past. He sat his bleach down on a shelf in the aisle I was in and leaned against the shelf, breathing heavily. I asked him if he was okay. He said that he was having a hard time breathing. I asked him if he needed help. He said no, that he had a fluid build-up around his heart, but he'd be okay. I asked if he wanted to sit down, and he said no. I went back to my stocking, and told him if he needed anything to let me know.

"I said I don't need any goddam help!" the old man yelled. "You asked three damn times!"

I stood looking at this man for a moment. He was breathing heavily, looking at me angrily.

"I said I'd be fine!" He said. Mad at me.

"All right." I said softly.

He grabbed up his bleach and stomped off, huffing and puffing. The entire encounter made me sad. I did not understand it. I mean, I understand that the old fellow is a crusty guy who is probably afraid of death and not being able to do for himself. Perhaps I made him feel weak with my concern. I just don't understand why I had to be part of that exchange. I went back to my stocking, trying to decide whether or not to start hating the old man for his unpleasantness. I decided not to hate him. But it's hard for me, when stung, not to resent the stinger forever. I'm in constant battle with grudges, even little ones like that. I will not offer him kindness or concern again, though.